We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough Draft itinerary review?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rough Draft itinerary review?

Hello everyone. Headed over to Ireland in mid-June with some cousins. This will be my 3rd trip (2nd in as many years) and the other three are first-timers. My rough draft of an itinerary looks like this:

Day 1 (10 Jun)

Arrive Dublin, deal with jet lag do some sightseeing

Day 2

Dublin sightseeing

Day 3

Pick up car @ 1 pm and drive to Killarney via Cashel (maybe Cahir - is this too much?)

Day 4

Gap of Dunloe (stay in Killarney)

Day 5

RoK on to Dingle

Day 6

Slea Head Drive stay in Dingle

Day 7

Cliffs/Burren on to Galway (too much?)

Day 8

Inishmore stay in Galway

Day 9

Drive East hit Newgrange and Trim Castle stay in Dublin or ???

Day 10

Fly out

Thanks for any input. Last year I went from town to town almost nightly so I thought this may be a more leisurely pace.

1. Re: Rough Draft itinerary review?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 21:08
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rough Draft itinerary review?

Ok, - here we go again !! My comments below prefixed by @@@@

Day 1 (10 Jun)

Arrive Dublin, deal with jet lag do some sightseeing

@@@@ Fine.

Day 2

Dublin sightseeing

@@@@ Fine

Day 3

Pick up car @ 1 pm and drive to Killarney via Cashel (maybe Cahir - is this too much?)

@@@@ By the time you get to Cashel, it will be 3pm(ish). Say 90 minutes here sees you leaving Cashel at 4:30pm and arriving Cahir 5pm. Play Cahir Castle by ear on the day. Best to get there at 4pm latest so that you will get to visit it properly. From Cashel to Killarney will then take about 2 hours with no stops.

Day 4

Gap of Dunloe (stay in Killarney)@@@@ Easily doable. Consider doing one of the organised tours from Ross Castle by boat over to Gap of Dunloe with bus back to Ross castle later. It might appeal to your group.

Day 5

RoK on to Dingle

@@@@ Busy day - 8 hours with some stops from Killarney - ROK - Dingle

Day 6

Slea Head Drive stay in Dingle. @@@@ Yes good idea + you will have lots time left over as Slea Head Drive can be completed in 2 - 3 hours depending on stops.

Day 7

Cliffs/Burren on to Galway (too much?) @@@@ This is doable - depending on what you want to see at the Burren.

Day 8

Inishmore stay in Galway - @@@@ doable

Day 9

Drive East hit Newgrange and Trim Castle stay in Dublin @@@@ Doable. Dublin as a base is fine.

Day 10

Fly out @@@@ while no doubt arranging your 2015 trip ;-))

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,026 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rough Draft itinerary review?

Get to Newgrange as early as you can as only a limited number per day can visit the chamber.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rough Draft itinerary review?

Thanks for your tips Harvey and Bryno. We'll have to see about Cahir. I was afraid that time may be a factor there. We shall see if everyone wants to leave Dublin earlier and see the castle or stay later and skip it.

Any recommendations for lodging in Killarney, Dingle and Galway would be appreciated. My guess is we will want to be as close as possible to a lively pub scene because I want to avoid any and all temptation to drive to the pub at night. Previously I have stayed a bit farther out of the city/town/village center so my previous experience probably won't help.

We'll see about Ireland in 2015. Right now I am thinking 2015 will be Rome or Germany but the auld sod (if I am even using that term correctly) does have a mighty pull to it.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rough Draft itinerary review?

What type of lodging: hotel, guesthouse, B&B? How many rooms? And, an idea of budget for accommodation, will all help.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rough Draft itinerary review?

Sorry for being too non-specific :) We would need 2 twin rooms.

B&B preferred but certainly not necessary. Budget would like to keep below $75 pps per night. Thanks again.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,386 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rough Draft itinerary review?

Rich, while I am not sure if it fits in you budget (but I would think yes), you may want to check out the Park House Hotel in Galway. It is just off Eyre square and very easy walking distance to everything in town.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rough Draft itinerary review?

Please quote prices in Euro - in your case $75 per person sharing equals approximately Euro 55. Or, Euro 110 per room per night:

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

As to akandal's suggestion, why not consider paying that little extra in Dublin and Galway, for example, with a stay in hotels?

You can look to spend less at B&Bs elsewhere. Win. Win.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 17:49
9. Re: Rough Draft itinerary review?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:20