We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

Durand, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

We are traveling to Ireland for 10 days in August. One of our gang needs a mobile WiFi "hotspot" to use in the car, and when touring. I just found out that Hertz will not rent a WiFi to me as I am flying into Dublin and out of Shannon.

Does anyone know of a rental company that does rent for this type of trip? Does DanDooley? I have sent an email to them but thus far, no response.

Other alternatives?

Appreciate the help.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

This is about what they would be renting you www.three.ie/online/shop/productDetail.aspx… Bear in mind though that there are lots of wifi hotspots (Free) and most accommodation will have wifi.

Durand, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

Thanks for the info, tony2phones...(by the way, we might see you in the pub as will be in Ennis for 2 nites, touring, etc)...now if I got the hotspot...and the card to top it off...would I still need a SIM card? I'm not good at this techie stuff...we would be traveling in both Northern Ireland and the south. What else do I need to know to make this work?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

Believe it or not I don't get down to Ennis often these days, BG is a local and will probably be happy to give you any gossip if she is about.

The Huawei E5220 will have a sim card fitted if you buy it from 3,, you might pick up a similar item off ebay but it would need to be unlocked to take an Irish sim card which you could then load with a Data Top up.

The problem you will have is that Data is provider specific and UK (NIreland) and Irish providers are different animals even under the same banner.. I am not sure how much data alowance 3 gives when roaming in the north you would have to check that with them,,

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

I bought a Huawei E355 from Amazon for about $60. Put a Tesco sim card in it and loaded it with data minutes.

I rented the same unit from Dooley last year and it worked great. When you go to the north just buy a Vodafone sim card.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

Wouldn't go Vodafone! Tesco UK, 3 or O2 possibly Orange but never Vodafone or T mobile.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

I used Vodafone because I already had a sim card with some minutes on it. I know that Tesco.IE and Tesco.UK are two different sim cards but is the coverage good in the North using the UK card?

Edited: 29 January 2014, 01:27
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

IE and UK both ultimately run on the Hutchinson Satellite system via the respective 02 partnerships, also tied with "3" I have had a Tesco UK mobile since they started up over 10 years ago and only moved to "3" last year because of the Ireland Bundle being withdrawn.. (can't afford to pay for incoming calls from the kids on a UK number when they get the call "Free" as their included minutes so need a free to receive network ). Vodafone are expensive, lack good coverage (useless up here) and their customer service leaves something to be desired.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 01:38
Durand, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

Thanks everyone for the imput, its a bit mind boggling with all of the contingencies...I will show these suggestions to my son and let him see what he thinks...I will check the 3 coverage up North. Appreciating the help figuring this out for me. I'm gathering that if I buy the phone with the Irish SIM from 3 in it, and top it off....that it will work fine in Ireland. When traveling in Northern Ireland I will have to switch the SIM card for one that works in Northern Ireland. Is that about the gist of it?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

That's about it..

10. Re: Can't get WiFi in rental car for one-way trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 06:19