We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Backpacks OK?

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Are Backpacks OK?

Planning 10 day trip to include Adare, Ballyvaughan, Aran Islands, and Ennis. Do you think there will be any problem with backpack in those areas? Frowned upon in some larger towns in US, especially since Boston bombing. Will have car, prefer flexibility of carrying around food, water, camera, etc.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,033 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Backpacks OK?

There will be no problems with backpacks. We use them here regularly.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Backpacks OK?

Kids/university students bring them to school/university every day, people take them to work, gyms etc. Reading this question makes me feel like we live in different worlds and not continents.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Backpacks OK?

Thank you for your response. The US is great, but I certainly hope to find a different world in your country.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,605 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Backpacks OK?

I see tourists carrying them every day here in Washington, DC and no one pays any mind. The only places I see anyone taking any interest in them at all is at sporting events or other large gatherings where they're either banned altogether or you have to line up to have it searched which causes delay getting in.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are Backpacks OK?

take them off when you go into bars or get on buses - nothing worse than being whacked in the face when someone wearing a backpack turns around unexpectedly.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are Backpacks OK?

The main problem is when you forget your width whilst wearing them!

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
616 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are Backpacks OK?

The only reference you may see to backpacks in airports, public transport etc. - the same as any other bag or piece of luggage - is that you're not to leave them unattended. If you see them unattended report to a member of staff etc.

It's no more likely that a backpack will contain anything untoward than any other bag.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are Backpacks OK?

All good observations, thank you. Some people have even mentioned carrying around travel documents in them figuring it was safer there than in the car or room. Probably just mindless worrying on my part.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Are Backpacks OK?

No need to carry valuable documents like passports out and about. Leave them at your hotel, much safer.

10. Re: Are Backpacks OK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 06:17