We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip

Welland, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Trip

Hi all! My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Ireland beginning in mid August. I would just like to know from people who have traveled there, or people who live there, where is the best place to stay? I'm not really looking for a big city type of thing. I want culture, fields, farms, cliffs, architecture ect.. We're looking for somewhere nice, where we can do outdoor things such as fish, hike.. I've narrowed it down to these places (in order). Which is the best place to visit and that time of year?

Galway

Killarney

Wicklow

Tralee

Kenmare

Thank You!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,019 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip

Mid-August will be very busy and it will be more expensive than say mid-September

How long will you be here? And where are you flying in and out of?

With the places you've listed, I would elminate Tralee - Rose of Tralee Contest. Manic - Good Manic!! Also Killarney as it will also be very busy.

Galway City is nice for a visit. However there are some spectacular areas in the County.

Kenmare is lovely and in a great position. I don't know Wicklow at that time of the year.

Welland, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip

That will be the only time this year we will be able to make it :( We are planning on arriving August 18th, and leaving September 2nd, so only 2 weeks. We are coming from Canada, not sure where we will be flying to (dependent on where we choose to go). Is Killarney busy with tourists or are there a lot of events going on at that time of year? Galway sounds spectacular, but is there an airport in Galway? I was looking it up, and I saw that to get there, we would have to fly to Shannon and bus the rest of the way. What would be the best way to go about that? Also, is it recommended we rent a vehicle while we visit?

This will be my first time out of the country, and he has never been anywhere except for Florida. We are both new to this so we're not sure what we're doing yet lol!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,019 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip

Galway is lovely. Its just over an hour from Shannon so easily managed. There are only two airports in Ireland that have transatlantic flights coming in: Shannon and Dublin. So you'd have to fly into either of them for Killarney or any of the other locations as well.

But the countryside outside Galway is great. Its a good base. This is a list of some of the events happening in Galway in August

galwaytourism.ie/…August

Killarney will be very busy at that time of the year.

I think you should hire a car. You will have far more freedom.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip

If you like to hike, and since you already have Killarney on your list, you shouldn't miss the National Park there. Killarney may be busy, but if you stay at the Brehon it's close to the park and their car park is large.

I would recommend getting a car if you can - I suspect since this is the first time out of the country there will be much you'll want to see and do that may make transit schedules inconvenient.

Welland, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip

We will probably end up hiring a car. We are hoping to see as much as we can while we are visiting. Is it possible to stay a few nights in different cities without booking hotel rooms in advance? Say when we book two nights in Dublin, then drive to another city, would we be able to rent a hotel room there for a few nights without booking? Like walk in and ask if there is anything open?

There are so many things I would like to experience/see. As I look more into it, I just keep finding more!

Welland, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip

Then, near the end of our trip, we would probably stay put somewhere until we have to head back to the airport in Dublin

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,791 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip

you could maybe not prebook but as august is high season I wouldn't advise it and I love winging it......

8. Re: Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:21