We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin 2 Days Then Where Else for 2 Days?

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin 2 Days Then Where Else for 2 Days?

We are couple in our early 50s coming to Dublin for four nights and four full days (we fly in and out of Dublin).

Originally it was planned as 4 days in Dublin, but reading the guide book I think we can get a good flavour of Dublin in 2 full days. I then thought we would hire a car for one day and do a few things around Dublin, but I now realise places like Galway, Limerick, Waterford and Wexford are only 2 hours or so by car from Dublin and the scope of our holiday is expanding.

So, if we have two full days to play with, how would you recommend we spend them away from Dublin? We would have one night away, so suggestions as to which town we should stay in would also be welcome. Our interests are scenery, architecture and history.

If of course you think we should spend our full 4 days in Dublin, please let us know why.

Thanks.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin 2 Days Then Where Else for 2 Days?

It's hardly worth the expense and hassle of hiring a car for one night. Would you consider getting a train from Dublin to Cork, Killarney, Galway, Limerick or Belfast and then doing an organised day trip from there?

While in Cork you can day trip to Cobh and Blarney by public transport

While in Killarney you can do the Ring of Kerry or Dingle Peninsula

While in Galway you could day tour to the Cliffs of Moher or Connemara

While in Limerick you could day tour to Cliffs of Moher or Galway

The alternative of course is to stay in Dublin for the four days and then day trip from there to Glendalough and Newgrange on different days. There are other longer day tours available from Dublin too.

If you do want to hire a car, then Cork, Galway, Liimerick, Killarney, Belfast are all achievable, just make sure you have some kind of itinerary arranged so that you can make the most of the two days/1 night

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin 2 Days Then Where Else for 2 Days?

I would like to avoid organised tours and personally I don't find car hire a hassle and thought it would give more flexibility to see the famed Irish countryside.

Cork looks too far for two days.

What I hoped people might be able to suggest is an itinerary to make the most of our two days without spending too much time driving from a to b.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin 2 Days Then Where Else for 2 Days?

I would like to avoid organised tours and personally I don't find car hire a hassle and thought it would give more flexibility to see the famed Irish countryside.

Cork looks too far for two days.

What I hoped people might be able to suggest is an itinerary to make the most of our two days without spending too much time driving from a to b.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin 2 Days Then Where Else for 2 Days?

Sorry, I don't know how that ended up being posted twice. To clarify we have potentially two full days and one night outside Dublin. We would leave Dublin on the morning of day 1 about 9 am and then we don't have to be back at Dublin airport until 8 pm on day 2.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin 2 Days Then Where Else for 2 Days?

Flying in one out another might have been an option but with £30 return fares you can hop to Shannon or Cork, Knock or one of the Northern airports some other long weekend.

Cork as Galway and Limerick is easy reach with the motorway system and express bus's But.. based in Dublin you could head north or south of the city and be in a different mind set without having to cross country. I don't know much about north of Dublin but if you have reasonable fitness levels there is good walking in Wicklow along the coast and inland. Wicklow town is a bit of something different

When are you planning these 4 days?

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin 2 Days Then Where Else for 2 Days?

Flights are already booked. Into Dublin late night 17th April out again late night on 21st. Easter weekend.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin 2 Days Then Where Else for 2 Days?

We like walking and are fit, but the dreaded Ryanair cabin baggage limit will limit us to walking shoes (Gortex trainer type things, which we tend to wear anyway for city touring), but we won't be able to fit in boots for proper muddy walking.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin 2 Days Then Where Else for 2 Days?

My advice is to stay in Dublin as little as possible. The best day trip from Dublin is Glendalough.

9. Re: Dublin 2 Days Then Where Else for 2 Days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:21