We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway or Killarney?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Galway or Killarney?

We are staying 7 nights (March 22 - 30th) and working our way around starting and ending in Dublin. Out first night is in Clontarf Castle, second night in Kinnitty Castle, third is not sure..if we should stay in Galway the 25th or just go to Dromoland Castle for the 25th (& Cliffs of Moher) then have a night in Killarney the 26th. I have everything else pretty much set, including our hotel bookings but this is my snag. Should we spend that extra night in Galway or Killarney? Thanks!

Edited: 10 February 2014, 20:13
Blarney Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kilkenny Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Trim Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway or Killarney?

Neither will disappoint. Will you have a car?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,619 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway or Killarney?

If you had more time I would suggest Killarney, but in this case I suggest Galway, as you will be in that area anyway. Whatever you do, neither will disappoint, apart from the fact that you can't stay longer!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway or Killarney?

Yes we have a car. :) We will also be going to Cork, Cashel & back to Dublin. So either one is kind of "on the way" with a little side tracking. I do love nature, so I was drawn more to Killarney because of the park. Thanks for the input!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,478 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway or Killarney?

Killarney National Park is an absolute gem. You can hire bikes to get around or take a jarvey car(a bit cheesy, but fun.) Muckross House and gardens, Ross Castle, Torc waterfall and Muckross abbey all worth a visit.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,498 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway or Killarney?

I wouldn't skip Galway if I were you.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway or Killarney?

another vote for killarney.....

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galway or Killarney?

Thank you everyone!!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,498 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Galway or Killarney?

You're more than welcome.

Come and enjoy.

Perth, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galway or Killarney?

HI can any one tell me where I can stay in castle going to galway & Killarney and then down towrd Kilkenny and back to dublin for last night. Also what will the weather be like - will it be cold? Any help, advice - whatever I wuld apprecaite - have no idea where or waht we are doign . Just driving ????

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galway or Killarney?

I think you need a plan!!!

What time of year will you be visiting? How long will you be staying (exact number of nights in Ireland would help!)

"Castle" hotels are, for the main, "country house" style establishments. Have a look at this recent discussion, and decide if you still want to stay in one :

tripadvisor.co.uk/…57057125

Links to "castle" hotels :

manorhousehotels.com/luxury/castle-hotels/

Here, you can search by county:

http://www.castlesinireland.com

And for general planning and car hire :

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186591-c138981/Ire…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186591-c138899/Ire…

Lots more helpful information on the right-hand side of this page, listed under "top questions". If this is your first visit to Ireland, it's well worth reading some trip reports, listed under "flydrive itineraries : suggestions please". You'll also find some itineraries detailed.

:-)