We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base Locations for Donegal Area

Detroit, Michigan
7 posts
Save Topic
Base Locations for Donegal Area

I've decided to spend 3 nights in Donegal after leaving spending time in Portrush, and I'm more excited than ever after reading the great things this forum has been saying about the area.

My plans are to try and explore Griannan of Aileach, Malin Head, Fanad Peninsula, Bloody Foreland, Errigal Mountain, Glenveagh Castle and Park, Beltany Stone Circle, Kilclooney Dolmen, Sliabh Liag Cliffs, Donegal Castle, and Tower Museum. I will be heading to Castlebar after leaving Donegal.

My question is about where the best spot would be to stay to if I planned to spend a day in the north and a day in the south. I was thinking about either Bunbeg, Ardara, Donegal Town, or Killybegs mostly from what I've seen as far as prices. The plan is to head to Castlebar after I leave Donegal, but I have that accommodation taken care of just needing to secure Donegal's.

Thank you so much!!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base Locations for Donegal Area

Donegal town or Dungloe would be good, though both are a good distance from Malin Head and the Fanad Pen. Letterkenny is also a good base camp.

Another option would be to spend one night in Rathmullan allowing you to explore Fanad, Malin Head etc, and then the remaining two nights in or near Donegal town.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,700 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base Locations for Donegal Area

I would go for the 2 base plan,, Donegal is hardly a small easily navigable county especially getting to more secluded areas. If you can only have 1 then Letterkenny. and catch a couple of the Southern spots heading down to Castlebar..

http://www.drumcorroyhouse.com/ is a good spot but a few miles north of Donegal town if you are planning nights out.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 13:56
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base Locations for Donegal Area

allycat, you will not be able to do all the things on your Donegal list with just three nights. As pointed out already here, Donegal is a big county and you could easily spend a whole week and more ticking all the items off your list!

You will have to discard some items on your list or change your plans altogether. Glenveagh would take the best part of a day alone... unless you take the shuttle bus to the castle (rather than walk the four km from the visitor centre) and then rush back in order to get somewhere else. That would be a pity.

I know that you would like a base for your visit but maybe a trip to three different locations would suit better if it means that you can see more of the sites on your wish-list?

Something like this:

Portrush to Inishowen taking in the Grianan of Ailleach but forgetting Malin Head. Staying somewhere in the area. You could make it to Ramelton which is rather pretty.

From Ramelton you could tour the Fanad peninsula, make sure to get down to the Fanad lighthouse and maybe get a walk in on Ballyhiernan Bay. From there you can get to the Rosguill peninsula via the Harry Blaney bridge and travel around the Atlantic Drive on the Rosguill peninsula (it's only about 16km), then drive along the coast via Creeslough, Dunfanaghy etc. to Bunbeg taking in Bloody Foreland. You can see Mount Errigal from almost everywhere there.

Slieve League would be a good drive from Bunbeg but if you leave early you would make it and then drive on to Donegal town.

This sounds like a lot of driving but it's doable.

I still think you should reconsider your list and leave some items off. Concentrate on a few and enjoy them all the more!

4. Re: Base Locations for Donegal Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:18