We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of travelling in Ireland

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of travelling in Ireland

We had been thinking about a 7-8 day bus tour in Ireland this September but realized that our interests don't always match with the pre-packaged tours. We are considering going on our own with 3-4 days in Dublin and 4-5 days in Kilkenny and Killarney areas. We do have to keep the financial side in mind and I'm trying to get a handle on the typical daily cost for meals and accommodations in Ireland. We are modest in our needs, not needing fancy restaurants and hotels but also not liking fast food or cheap chains. We enjoy local places. Can you share the average daily food/hotel costs of your recent trips?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
eCoach Shore Tours
Bus Tours, City Tours
Bere Island Heritage Bus Tours
Bus Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Munsterbus Tours - Private Tours
Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of travelling in Ireland

Americans, also planning a ten day, self drive trip to ireland in May. We will stay in B&Bs, pick up picnic supplies, and have mostly pub dinners. How much will it cost? That depends on many factors. Drinks can be half the bill here in the states. Probably the same in the True North. Salmon or the burger? It adds up. Castle or a hostel? Traveling always costs more than you planned, especially miscellaneous items. But it's worth every penny.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of travelling in Ireland

This Trip Report from May 2013 will help you out:

tripadvisor.com/…49603254

And, some older posts on budget and costs here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k51033…

Edited: 11 February 2014, 22:31
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of travelling in Ireland

Thank you for referring me to the other posts. Very useful information to give me a sense of what we may need to budget.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of travelling in Ireland

I would expect to get a decent BandB for €35 per person per night, and a one course meal and a pint in a pub for €15 per person. Motoring costs add up, diesel is around €1.45 per litre at the moment.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of travelling in Ireland

Thank you fuchsia2014. B&B's and pub meals suit us well so this is very helpful. So glad you included the cost of the pint in that estimate! We're looking forward to locally made real Guinness and Kilkenny. Might be spoiled tho' and never drink them from cans here again!

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of travelling in Ireland

When exactly are you thinking of visiting? Dublin, especially at weekends, can be very busy and more expensive than normal for accommodation in September.

This year, there's an American Football game on Saturday 30th August and many hotels are already booked in Dublin immediately preceding and following the dates of the game, as fans from the US build an extended trip around the game:

https:/…Croke-Park-Classic

The first and third weekends are busy with All-Ireland Hurling (7th September) and Football Finals (21st September).

Best to make allowances for paying extra for a hotel in Dublin in any case and your other locations will balance it out.

Look for Special Offers - (for staying 3 nights or more) and/or Advance Payments, for example:

www.ocallaghanhotels.com/offers-en.html

http://www.buswells.ie

Things to consider when Renting a Car:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c138899/Irela…

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of travelling in Ireland

Thanks Uasal for the info about the events in Dublin. We were thinking of leaving home about Sept 3 or 4, but are flexible enough to shift that later by a week if necessary. Or we could do our countryside portion first and then Dublin later. I will check Dublin hotels & B&Bs first, before planning our timing

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Canada
Level Contributor
7,815 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of travelling in Ireland

I spent anywhere from 15 to 40 euros for my evening meal. (per person) depending on the number of beers/glasses of wine. Some were @ pubs and some fancier restaurants.

Get a diesel car- better mileage.

Lots of small restaurants/cafes/pubs where lunch was 5 to 10 euros.

Some 35 euro bbs are like 1 star motels in Canada, so pick carefully.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of travelling in Ireland

you'll get some great b&bs, have never stay in one that wasn't fine and you can get some great early birds meals for low prices in the evening....

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
161 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of travelling in Ireland

Hi, we are in the middle of planning our own trip this spring. I can tell you that accommodations in Dublin look to be much more expensive than in the smaller areas. I think we are going to end up booking a nice place fairly close to the center of Dublin for about $150 a night (no breakfast included). Our really cute B&B that we have booked in Kenmare is going to run us $90 a night (breakfast included). Tripadvisor is a great tool for reading about the places to get a good feel for what the bang for the buck is going to be and how nice it is. I also like to look up the places on google maps to see how close we are to the sights. We're willing to pay a little extra a night in Dublin to save the time to be closer to the sights.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland