We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-catering guidance

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Self-catering guidance

Hello, we are evaluating several self-catering properties in west Cork. One is no pets; one permits one pet only. We are not taking pets, nor do we have one (although we do like animals!). Generally in the US we avoid renting places that are pet friendly because they often have an unpleasant stale animal kind of smell to them. We are assuming we should use the same caution in renting in Ireland, but just wanted to know if anyone had any experience one way or the other. And, I really don't mean to offend pet people with this question, but I could not quite work out a better way to ask the question without making the question totally useless. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,017 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self-catering guidance

We've rented a place that allows pets (Old Killarney Cottages) and we've never noticed anything but a totally clean environment.

In fact I'd be more worried about humans than animals. I've seen places left in far worse states by humans than by pets.

It all boils down to the management and the housekeeping of the complex or house you are staying in. And if there is an unpleasant smell or if its not perfectly clean complain. Regardless of what its caused by.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self-catering guidance

Bean, thanks for your thoughts. You are right about the humans....the cottages we are looking at are managed or rented through Shamrock Cottages. I seem to recall positive (although perhaps not perfect) reviews of them here on TA. In the pet cottage case, the owners live next door, so, I suspect any issues could be fairly quickly resolved. Thanks again.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self-catering guidance

Just get one if you are worried that is not pet friendly, I've had a look at Imagine Ireland recently and the dog friendly ones are stated as so. (I was looking at availability of dog friendly accommodation in Ireland for myself maybe sometime and it clearly said)

I agree with Bean

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
4. Re: Self-catering guidance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 06:18