We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour group

Lyons, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
tour group

Has any used Exploring Vacations Ireland for a self drive tour? The agent I spoke with seems very knowledgeable.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Aquaventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
My Ireland Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,352 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour group

haven't used them but why would you pay someone to do it?....with the wonderful posters on TA you can do it all yourself and save some money, thus being able to go where you want and on your schedule not one someone else chose for you.....

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour group

Have a look at Great Value Vacations. They have several self drive options and open scheduling. I have used them without issues, ie the Adare Villas package. Some folks don't care for the BnB vouchers on some of the packages. Use the green Search-option above to see what others say about GVV.

Cheers!

Sunny

Lyons, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour group

Just inexperienced. Never been across the Atlantic. Decided to self drive for freedom but the beauty and the choices are a little overwhelming at this point! Thanks

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,017 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour group

Don't use any company that offers you vouchers for accommodation..

Accommodation providers don't like the vouchers as they are paid a much lower rate than they would be by non-voucher customers. Because of this voucher customers may get smaller rooms or if its a voucher v a non-voucher customer situation, the non-voucher customer will take priority.

Lyons, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour group

It seems that most agents do vouchers. So should I just pick some B&B that looks good and call directly?

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tour group

Yes! You will have much, much more choice if you research b&bs here on Tripadvisor, then book direct. Some of the larger establishments have online booking systems, and others it's simply a quick email.

Out of curiosity, I had a look at b&bs offered via the voucher system and found that in many cases, those listed were located some distance from towns/village and many were way down the Tripadvisor rating system. Of course, these factors may not matter to you?

If you're a bit stuck for itineraries, then please have a look at these, which I compiled in answer to previous posters' enquiries. They may not be exactly what you're looking for, but hopefully they'll give you some ideas :

tripadvisor.co.uk/members-golists/SarniaGirl

If you want to plan your own itinerary:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186591-c138981/Ire…

And advice on car rental, together with a couple of companies where you can obtain fully inclusive quotes:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186591-c138899/Ire…

http://easytourireland.com/

http://www.dandooley.com/

:-)

Lyons, New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tour group

Have leave for the day, looking forward to checking out your recommendations later! Thanks

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,352 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tour group

great advice from bean and sarnia.....book your flight and rental car yourself, and the same with b&bs....you'll get tons of help here and they will not lead you wrong.....with the vouchers I can tell you from experience the rooms cost about 40% more...for instance a E50 room would cost you about E35-36 if you book direct with the owner, and the owner get's their regular rate, thus the only person who gets an advantage is the voucher seller....

9. Re: tour group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:21