We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extending business trip in Killarney 1 or 2 night options

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Extending business trip in Killarney 1 or 2 night options

We will be heading to Killarney for 3 nights and then 2 nights in Dublin during a business "reward" trip this upcoming July (end of the month) and I am hoping to extend the trip by flying in a bit earlier. Looking for recommendations for destinations closer to Killarney. I am not sure which airport we are flying into just yet but I am guessing the one closer to Killarney. Due to a variety of reasons we are not renting a car but I can figure out transportation to / from recommended sites. We are in our early 30s and I would love an opportunity to stay in a castle, eat cheese, drink tea, and see Ireland before the suits arrive!

Antarctica
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,252 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extending business trip in Killarney 1 or 2 night options

If youre flying in to Shannon, then Adare Manor is worth looking at. Its between Shannon and Killarney

http://www.adaremanor.com/en/

Alternatively Dromoland Castle is near to Shannon but further away from Shannon but not too far

www.dromoland.ie

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extending business trip in Killarney 1 or 2 night options

If you are flying to Ireland directly from U.S. then you will land at either Shannon airport on the west or Dublin airport on the East. Without a car, you will be better off landing at Dublin as there is a direct train service from Dublin City to Killarney.

I would highly recommend that you hire a car because your trip is so short that you will need to maximise it with your own transport. You can hire a car in Killarney.

If you really don't want to hire a car, then I recommend that you book day tours with a provider in Killarney (there are a number of these), who will maximise your time there by taking you on the Ring of Kerry and/or Dingle Peninsula or Beara Peninsula.

I would recommend that you stick to Killarney as your base. It is the largest town in County Kerry with the most facilities, it is a pleasant town with loads to visit around the area.

If you do hire a car, you could spend your extra two days elsewhere in County Kerry and County Cork. (Kenmare, Dingle, Tralee, Castletownbere, Schull etc etc etc.

If it were me, I'd prefer the free days to be after the conference rather than before, so that I could really relax and enjoy it.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Extending business trip in Killarney 1 or 2 night options

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback regarding Adare Manor but it is already fully booked for July! I will check the other suggestion castle.

Yes, I agree I think we will keep Killarney as a base.

Open to any cheese or tea tours!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Extending business trip in Killarney 1 or 2 night options

On the subject of cheese:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k54557…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k56654…

5. Re: Extending business trip in Killarney 1 or 2 night options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 07:19