We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location Quandary

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Location Quandary

We (husband, 3+ yr old son) are traveling Ireland in June. Most of the trip is worked out (self-catering mostly, with week long stays in 3 locales), but...the last week, really 6 days, falls over June 28, the Irish Derby at the Curragh, and we'd like to go. We'll be in West Cork (Ballydehob-ish area) until the 28th (self-catering)...unless we leave a day early, which we think we might do to try to cover some of the distance to Kildare. The complicating factor, however, is that we would like to spend the other days (sunday through Wednesday) in Cork City, Fota Island, Cobh, Midleton (not for the 3 y.o....), and maybe Youghal. Our thought would be to find some place between Waterford (direct train to Kildare) and Cork (one change in Portlaois); can't find a direct) to stay for Friday through Wednesday (trying to minimize pack/unpack with the little one along, and minimize disruption to others who might not find him as adorable as we do). Of course, self-catering usually does sat-sat. I don't think I need to explain the problem here.... Anyway, we are just looking for some ideas on a possible/general location for the stay or advice that we are trying way too hard for something that is not that special.

Thank you for any guidance, and hope that the Irish on the forum are staying safe and dry-ish. Sorry to hear about all the dreadful weather.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location Quandary

Fota Island, Cobh and Midleton can be seen over two days from Cork city by public transport, this would leave you with a day free to get to Kildare which can be done by train. Unless you have a specific reason to visit Youghal, skip it. Same for Midleton.

So on day 1 in Cork you could do Cork City and Midleton and on day 2 you could do Fota and Cobh, All those trips can be done by train from Cork train station. Does that help?

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location Quandary

Bryno, thanks. That does help. Midleton is just for the Jameson (for hubs). But that gives me a better sense of timing for the rest. And, just so you now I had not ignored earlier advice, I knew about the trains because of your help before. And I think bean had mentioned being able to do the things in a similar time frame. We have a car, but I have heard cork can be a bit tricky to navigate, so maybe public transport for Fota and Cobh would give our son a good planes, trains, and automobiles (and buses) time on the trip. Now, out of curiosity, in another post you had mentioned a list of lodging that you are happy to share off forum. Do you think any of them would be suitable for the 3 yo? We may have decided to skip trying for self catering over the last portions and just go for a couple of 2 or 3 night stays. If you are open to sharing, I'll send a pm. Thanks!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location Quandary

Cork City is a nightmare to navigate because of the street layouts. It's this way because it's a compact city. Having said that the trip to Cobh by car is very easy one and well sign posted once you "escape" the rabbit warren of the city !!!

However as the train trip (25 mins Cork to Cobh - less to Fota) is a very pleasant one, and nice for kids. A 3 year old would certainly enjoy it and it's also a short one. When you get to the Fota stop however, you must pay to get into the Fota Wildlife Park, there is no where else that you can access at the stop as far as I know. Fota Stop is only about 10 mins from the Cobh stop. Cobh town also very easy to navigate on foot but a buggy will be very handy as there is a hill walk to the cathedral which should not be missed for view of the harbour alone, not to mention the cathedral itself.

You can get a train or a bus to Midleton. In fact the track is shared by both the Cobh and Midleton trains but from the Glounthaune station, the track splits, one for Cobh the other for Midleton. Driving to Midleton is also very simple, once you get out of Cork city Centre. It's a straight run most of the way. The distillery is worth seeing and Midleton is a small town worth walking, as it has one main street which takes not more than 5 minutes to walk up and another 5 for the return walk. It has an excellent SuperValu supermarket, and on Saturdays a small Farmers Market which is worth strolling.

I'm not sure what you mean about sharing accommodations off forum, I can do that, or indeed I will share my thoughts on them right here, as will others. There is no shortage of good and varied accommodations in Cork ctiy

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location Quandary

Thanks Bryno. That is all very helpful. On the accommodation, here is fine. You just had a post (I think it was recent, but it could've been an old one) in which you did not want to trigger the outpouring of "no not there, here" in response to your list. I am fine with any outpourings, though! Thanks again for your time and help here and in many other posts.

5. Re: Location Quandary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:17