We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of moher

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cliffs of moher

My family and I will be driving from Dublin to Kilarney to Galway. Are the Cliffs of Moher on the way?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliffs of moher

The CoM are on the West Coast of Clare and could be included in the Killarney to Galway leg if you use the ferry at Tarbert. Dont take this the wrong way, but you have a map I hope?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliffs of moher

Taking the Tabert ferry only makes sense if you have time to see south west Clare and Loop Head below Ennistymon,, The Shannon Tunnel makes more sense if only aiming to see 1/2 mile of Cliff out of all there is on the way.

To be honest I always recommend splitting the drive from Killarney to Galway and for comfort the drive from Dublin to Killarney (or take the train).

New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliffs of moher

Thank you for the information. We will be using a GPS that has the maps or Ireland. We will be staying a night in Kilarney and then going to Galway and staying a night. Will this make it easier to see the cliffs? Would we do it on our way to Kilarney or Galway?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliffs of moher

On the way from Killarney to Galway, a map is really useful, even if you have GPS. The cliffs are on the coast ;-)

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliffs of moher

The Cliffs of Moher are no where near the road from Dublin to Killarney.

As the others have said, they can be seen by taking a detour on the drive from Killarney to Galway.

To be honest, if you only have one day in Killarney and one day in Galway, I think it would really shorten the time you have in both these towns. Unless the Cliffs are a must-see for you, I would head straight to Galway form Killarney.

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cliffs of moher

Tony2phones - where would you suggest staying in between Killarney and Galway if driving along the coast the whole way?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cliffs of moher

Ennistymon slightly inland old Market Town always gets my vote. Lahinch on the coast, can be a little lively. Quilty a little lower down but a little quiet at times. Doolin always gets the tourist vote but not to my taste (to tourism focused)

when are you thinking of?

8. Re: Cliffs of moher

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2015, 07:18