We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

Traralgon, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

Hi,

My daughter who will be 24 this coming March 2014 and I are hiring a car from Avis (Dublin) in September 2014. We have been told that Tiffany cannot drive as she is under 25, even though she has had her license since she was 18 y.o.

Can anyone tell me why is that so? AND/OR how do we get around it (if at all!).

Thanks in advance,

Clare H

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

She needs to have had her licence for 8 years, and I calculate that your daughter has only had her licence for 7. Why So? It's just one of the T&C's from Avis. Have you tried other rental companies?

Avis quotes this about driving age:

"There is no minimum age as long as the renter complies with the driving licence conditions and these are

Customers must have been eligible to hold a valid driver’s licence for 8 years of which 2 must be at a full driver’s licence qualification.

To rent a People Carrier, customers must have been eligible to hold a valid driver’s licence for 10 years of which 2 must be at a full driver’s licence qualification.

To rent a Minibus, a 4x4, Executive, Premium or a Luxury Car customers must have been eligible to hold a valid driver’s licence for 12 years of which 2 must be at a full driver’s licence qualification"

Edited: 17 February 2014, 10:27
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

Hi Clare H. Mandy here from Avis Ireland. Hope you don't mind me jumping in. Just to clarify that unfortunately we cannot rent to Tiffany. Our rental conditions are that somebody must have been eligible to hold a licence for 8 years and actually have their full, clean license for at least 2 years. In Australia, I understand you can get a license at 17, which means that Tiffany would need to be 25 at the time of rental to qualify.

Traralgon, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

Hi Mandy, not sure whether my message went through. Thanks for your reply and it's good to hear it from the "horses mouth" (so to speak).

My daughter "hit the roof" when she found out and started babbling on about it - anyway she seems to have calmed down and can tell me where to go (in a nice way, of course!)

We have actually booked with Avis (Dublin) in September 2014 and cannot wait to see the country that my father was born and grew up in.

Clare H

Traralgon, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

Thanks Bryno, you are a very informative person.

Clare H

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

Clare - thank you.

Mandy - I have a lot to say (as have others) about car rental in Ireland, and what I have to say is not very positive. Bryans mantra on Irish car rental is that it is a necessary evil for visitors to this country.

Why is it so easy and less expensive to hire cars in UK and mainland Europe? My last rental experience was in Germany, last year (either Hertz or Avis) and it was an amazingly positive experience. A gorgeous car, spotlessly clean, pick up - SIMPLE, drop off - SIMPLER, efficient, fabulous. Also hired in UK, and while not as good as in Germany, I still couldn't fault it - cheaper and spotlessly clean car, no question of having to pay for extra insurance and really efficient, professional staff.

Traralgon, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

Hi Mandy,

Can you please tell me how far the Dublin Airport is to Avis Rent-A-Car in Old Killmainham Road? and can we catch public transport to get us there?

Thanks, Clare H

Spokane, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

So, I'm curious, does this mean that if you're where I'm from in Washington state in the U.S. where you only have to be 16 to hold a driver's license, then a 24 year old would be able to rent based on this "must have been eligible to hold a valid driver’s licence for 8 years" verbiage?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

Hi Clare H.

You can get the bus number 747 from the airport which goes to Heuston Station (main train station). You can then get the luas train from outside Heuston and get off at Suir Road. It's then about a 5 minute walk. If you have a lot of luggage I would suggest you get a tax from Heuston which would be approximately €10. If you need any other information just let me know.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

Hi Kelsey K. That's correct.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car for 25 y.o. and under

@Clare H

My previous attempt to post a response just vanished.

If you and your daughter don't mind paying a surcharge of Euro 40 a day, then you can rent from Dan Dooley Car Rentals.

Further information here:

http://dan-dooley.ie/rentalinfo.php