We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
143 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

Hello, I'm planning a trip to Ireland and will rent a car there. I understand that only certain World MC will cover the rental car insurance (CDW). The one I have (Barclay Arrival World MasterCard) does not. Would someone tell me which World MC currently still covers rental car insurance in Ireland? I may try to apply for one.

Thank you!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,702 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

easiest way is to decide which rental companies you might use and email them direct for that information. As I understand some Companies only accept one card where another will accept a different issuer.. its more down to who Underwrites the policies rather than the brand of the plastic.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

make sure, if you find one that will cover insurance that the issuing card will have a good size credit limit....when a rental company accepts said insurance, there is a huge hold put on the card until the car is returned undamaged....currently it seems to be running about 3000 euro, or $4,113.71 at today's exchange rate.....

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
143 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

I called the rental company and they asked me to contact my credit card company. I understand that my Barclay Arrival World MasterCard does NOT cover CDW. But I'm interested in finding out if there's any card out there that still does. If so, which one, and if they still accept new applications?

Thank you!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

If you are eligible for USAA services, their World MasterCard covered our rental car CDW in Ireland a couple years ago.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

We use our Citicard World MC, which we got several years ago for this purpose. Luckily we have not had to test it.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,702 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

did you ask the rental which card they would accept?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
143 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

All major credit cards (e.g., VISA, MC), but that does not answer my question.

I will look into Citi or USAA. Thank you!

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

Chris, what Tony was asking was which World Mastercard the rental agency will accept in lieu of the excess coverage. Some accept one World Mastercard but not another. Also, ask them how much the fee is for using the World Mastercard in lieu of the excess and how much they are going to hold on your Mastercard as a damage deposit. The issue that many people who do this have is that if there is damage to the vehicle the rental company will bill it to your card including towing and loss of use. It's your responsibility to recover whatever costs that you can from the credit card company. They normally will not refund you for either the towing costs or loss of use. These are questions it might be worth asking. The fine print is critical if you're going to use this method of insurance.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 17:44
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,702 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

Thanks for the translation Paul, thought it was just north Kerry folk that didn't understand my accent..

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
143 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland Car Rental Insurance Coverage by World MC

Thank you all for the useful info. I did ask that specific question "Which World Master Card from the U.S. would you accept for payment of the rental cost in order to be eligible to decline CDW?", and here is their reply - "You will need to check with your credit card company to find out if they will cover the LDW in Ireland as we do not know which will or will not."

I understand that CDW and LDW are different, and I don't know if this was a typo in their response or not. It seems that this CDW coverage by credit card thing in Ireland is all but mythical, and might not worth the hassle. I'll probably just buy the CDW to save my research time.