We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

Southern California
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

Hello everyone :)

Our trip is this May, and towards the end of our trip we will be spending 2 nights in Ballyvaughan, & 2 nights in Galway before heading to our last night in Ireland, in Bunratty.

I am trying to place when and where we will visit Inis Mor, Aran Islands. I feel like I already have a lot I want to do around Ballyvaughan, and adding a trip to Aran Islands would take away time, and I don't really have much planned for Galway as of yet, so maybe it's best to visit Inis Mor from Galway?

For Ballyvaughan, we will be driving from Killarney on Thursday. We are staying at the Ballyvaughan lodge. No set schedule, but definitely want to go to cliffs of Moher (possibly the pat Sweeney 3 mile walk), explore the Burren, visit the perfumery, possibly Birds of Prey, possibly Ailwee Caves.

We leave for Galway Saturday, and stay until Monday when we head to Bunratty, which I don't think we need to rush to Bunratty that day. In Galway, again, no set schedule or plans, but want one day for Aran Islands, Interested in Clonmacnoise, Ashford Castle, but open to suggestions. Of course I would have loved to see parts of Connemara. We are staying in the city centre, at the Western.

With this all said can you guys help me organize this part of our trip and give suggestions? We will have a rental car, so any route suggestions is extremely appreciated too. I'm open to anything. Thank you so much for your time :)

Blarney Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kilkenny Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Trim Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu and …activeboard.com/t50055177/n59-galway-route/ might give you some ideas for your time in Galway. Day trips run from Galway to Inis Mor. If you want a different route to Bunratty from Galway you can go via Athenry, Clonmacnoise, Birr and Lough Derg for a full days drive.

Southern California
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

Thank you tony :) I've been studying your map and post for an hour. I will keep looking into it, and hopefully get some more advice on sorting out these days :)

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

It looks like Sunday would be your best day to do the Aran Islands from Galway.

I don't know if you have considered flying instead of the ferry, but I love it.

http://www.aerarannislands.ie

The drive from Galway to either the ferry or the airport is quite scenic along Galway Bay, so take time to enjoy it.

If you are not in a rush to get to Bunratty, you could drive part of the Connemara Loop on the Monday.

Tony's maps are great, and maybe you could pick out what interests you most and drive that section before heading to Bunratty(which is a very handy run from Galway).

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

We took the Cliffs of Moher walk with Pat Sweeney last September and it was a highlight of our trip.....amazing!!,

Southern California
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

Thank you everyone. Yes,, Bannergirl, that's a great idea to do part of the the Connemara loop before we head for Bunratty, I'm also still considering Tony's plan. Oh for the choices.

As for flying to Inis Mor, for the sake of saving a little money, I think we are going to stick with the ferry. Sooziereland, thank you for your feedback on the Pat Sweeney walk. I am so glad it was brought to my attention. How did you make your reservations for the walk? I was hoping to email him, but only see a phone number.

I guess with this post I was also really trying to figure out if I should try to fit the trip to Aran islands in when we are in Ballyvaughan, or Galway. It is looking like Sunday, while in Galway, would be the best. I wish I had just 2 more days for our trip! Ha, ha or 2 more weeks ;)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,106 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

without wishing to give even more choices I have almost put this map to bed,, might be some points worth a look? http://goo.gl/maps/xMOHV

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

I haven't come across an e-mail for Pat Sweeney. I guess the best thing to do would be to ring him when you arrive in Ireland and book the walk.

I know that some times it is enough to show up at O'Connor's pub at 10a.m., but it would definitely be better to book in advance.

Some extra info on the walk :

cliffsofmoher.ie/plan-your-visit/…

8. Re: Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 23:24
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

Pat Sweeney doonagore@eircom.net

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ballyvaughan & Galway itinerary help & Aran Islands

We took the trip with Pat Sweeney last Sept. and it was arranged by our b &b the day before. You meet at 10 at Gus Oconnors pub. There was only myself, my husband and another person so it was great . I believe at the time it was only 5 euros pp. ....amazing!!