We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a prepaid SIM card (Tesco?) ahead of time?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
31 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a prepaid SIM card (Tesco?) ahead of time?

I have a quad band, unlocked, phone card that a SIM card can be used in. I know you can buy a SIM card when you arrive in Ireland but I was thinking about avoiding the hassle and getting a number ahead of time buy buying now while in the States. But several of these online company sites either have reviews stating they are rip offs or are WAY more expensive. Is there anyway to buy from Tesco or Vodaphone etc. BEFORE arriving in Ireland? I haven't found one yet.

Thanks

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a prepaid SIM card (Tesco?) ahead of time?

You can pick them up on ebay but they cost a bit more because whoever is selling them has to make a bit, that's business..

Kansas City
Level Contributor
31 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a prepaid SIM card (Tesco?) ahead of time?

Are there any recommended companies' cards to use? Some reviews are scary...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,107 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a prepaid SIM card (Tesco?) ahead of time?

For calls and texts Tesco are well ahead. for Data consider 3 and Meteor. (Vodafone and 02 are the other main options. I wouldn't be recommending)

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a prepaid SIM card (Tesco?) ahead of time?

I buy tesco.ie sims from an ebay seller in London. I think the cost, with shipping, is about $12. Make sure you specify Tesco Ireland.

5. Re: Buying a prepaid SIM card (Tesco?) ahead of time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 06:18