We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for two areas to match with my interests?

San Marcos, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for two areas to match with my interests?

Hello All,

I have been perusing this board for awhile now, and there are some great suggestions! I thought I would ask a couple of specific questions as they relate to my own plans. I have 5 days to spend in Ireland this summer, from around May 23rd through the 27th. Me and my partner will be staying in Dublin for a couple days first, and will then rent a car and head out. We will need to be in Northampton, England on the 28th.

I have decided to take the advice that I have seen so often posted on here to not try and cram too much into this time frame. I think I would like to visit two areas with nice B&B's that won't break my bank. A couple nights in each area, so accommodations that have access to some cool restaurants and activities is key. My interests are mainly scenic and cultural. It is very important to my partner to get some time on the cliffs and be able to see some of the storied coastline. We both love hiking, so anywhere that we can have access to scenic trails would be awesome. We also love architecture and history, so we are hoping to see a couple castles and historic locations if possible.

To meet these goals I was thinking of a couple days around the Cliffs of Moher/Bunratty Castle, and perhaps a couple in the Killarny National Park area? Does road travel between these locations make sense with my timeframe? Any other areas that fit the bill above would be much appreciated. Any specific B&B locations would be wonderful as well.

Thank you very much!

-Sean

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for two areas to match with my interests?

If you go to Killarney and like a relatively easy hike (must be careful here as experience will tell if easy or not) then a walk to the Devil's Punchbowl is a must do and if really enjoying it conitnue up to the top of Mangerton

walkingroutes.ie/1248-Devils-Punch-Bowl.html - delightful views and great air.

The Killarney National park is a treasure so that is also well worth a visit. However Dublin to Killarney is not a very short trip and is about 300km (check http://www.theaa.ie/routes/). However there is a good rail connection (www.irishrail.ie) so there are options.

Be aware I do love Killarney so bias may be evident. :-)

Enjoy the trip

Edited: 24 February 2014, 20:36
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for two areas to match with my interests?

I would suggest you base yourself in a nice B&B in or near Dublin and take day trips from there. I would not propose that one of those day trips be a day trip to the Cliffs of Moher, however, due to distance and unpredictability of weather. You can take the DART to Howth to see very scenic cliffs and coastline there and to do a great cliff walk. Other great day trips which would incorporate history, architecture, castles and scenic walks would be: Trim Castle, Newgrange, Battle of the Boyne, Glendalough, Kilkenny Castle, and the Rock of Cashel. Or you could do 3 days in Dublin and 2 days in Kilkenny if you really wanted to stay in two different areas.

With such a short amount of time, it seems that you'll spend too much time on the road and not enough time sightseeing if you try to visit both the Cliffs of Moher and Killarney National Park, especially if you are flying in and out of Dublin.

San Marcos, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for two areas to match with my interests?

Thanks for the insight so far.

I was accounting for a couple days to get acclimated before we drove and a couple days to cross over to England (which is where I will be studying). It still does seem that more than one destination may be rushing it. Killarney National Park is a huge draw, thanks Eoghan.

Longhorn, I guess my main concern is that we would tire of Dublin in 7 days, but the day trips may open up some options I wasn't considering while saving me some coin on a multi-day car rental. I am also a huge fan of art and architecture, so I will want to take my time in the major galleries and museums in Dublin.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for two areas to match with my interests?

Killarney for Kerry and Either Galway for Connemara and North Clare or Ennis for County Clare fly out from Shannon or best bet stay in Killarney last and fly Kerry to Luton for Northampton.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for two areas to match with my interests?

I like Kinsale, and this is a good B&B.

www.perryvillehouse.com/

West Coast NZ
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for two areas to match with my interests?

How, when and where do you arrive and depart Ireland.

A bit unclear how much time you actually have without travel days?

San Marcos, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for two areas to match with my interests?

We will arrive on May 21st and will want at least a couple of days in Dublin. I will need to be in Northampton by the 28th, and I am still working on my travel plans for that trip. I settled on 5 days of free time, but I am realizing that two locations may still be aggressive.

8. Re: Suggestions for two areas to match with my interests?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 05:19