We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Vacations tour operator

Naples, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Exploring Vacations tour operator

I am travelling with my elderly mother and are travelling in 3 weeks, I don't feel comfortable "booking" my own hotels etc. I realize I may be paying a little more, but want to know if they are a reputable company and if someone has used them.

Thank you so much for any assistance

Aquaventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
My Ireland Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours
144 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Vacations tour operator

My 16 yr old daughter and I just returned from a trip to Ireland and used Exploring Vacations to book our self drive trip. Gary was wonderful! I basically told him what my daughter likes and he scheduled B&B's in the areas he thought she would most enjoy. We had a wonderful time, he was more than helpful and I had questions while I was there and he was available to help. I would not hesitate to use them again and have given their information to my family members who are considering a trip. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
2. Re: Exploring Vacations tour operator

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 17:35

3. Re: Exploring Vacations tour operator

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 17:35

Leeds, Alabama
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring Vacations tour operator

hello, we are in the planning stage of our trip to Ireland and have contacted exploring vacations to get a quote. I also have looked into booking everything myself. I see that you had a good experience with exploring vacations - just to make sure, you think they're a good company to work with? thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring Vacations tour operator

Yes..they were wonderful!!! Just beware all pricing they give is in Euro. Lesson learned and a wise one to pass on. However, when I asked for dollar pricing they were more than happy to quote what I needed to know.

Elizabeth City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring Vacations tour operator

We have been dealing with Exploring Vacations for months and everything was going great. We were confirmed in May, due to leave at the end of this month. Then they sent us our itinerary again, without a word, and hidden in there with no explanation were 3 changes, two were hotels in Dublin, which was no biggie to me, but I found it strange. But the other was supposed to be 2 nights in this grand 5th century castle, which we paid extra for, and now they are sticking us in a 2oo year-old farmhouse, and calling it a castle. If I had not dug into that newest itinerary, we would have never known until we arrived. My husband called them for an explanation, and they said the castle was booked. It wasn't booked 2 months ago when we confirmed and paid for it. I feel deceived, with a bait and switch, and I am NOT happy about it. I will NOT stay in a farmhouse when I paid for a luxury castle. Hubby is trying to get this sorted out today, but wanted you to know MY experience. If that changes, I will let you know.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,009 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring Vacations tour operator

"the other was supposed to be 2 nights in this grand 5th century castle, which we paid extra for, and now they are sticking us in a 2oo year-old farmhouse, and calling it a castle."

Any chance you can give us the name of where you were initially supposed to be staying and where you are now due to be staying? Perhaps there has been a level of confusion.

One thing I will say is that there are no habitable 5th Century castles here.

Elizabeth City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exploring Vacations tour operator

Dromoland Castle is where we were confirmed to stay. www.dromoland.ie/… It is extraordinary and their Website says 5th century. Even if it isn't, it is definitely a castle.

Gregan is where they are trying to put us. http://www.gregans.ie/gallery/ Looks nothing like a castle, not even comparable, and when I looked it up online, the history of that place, is that there was a towerhouse across the street where a prince lived, then his family moved to a farmhouse, which has been converted to a hotel. I have had my heart set on Dromoland, and I want to know why it was available 2 months ago for us when we cofirmed and paid for it, and why it is no longer available. And why the deception. No explanation,they just emailed us a new itinerary. That's crappy business practice. My husband has been waiting all day to hear back from the agency to see if it is available if we rearrange our schedule, putting our visits in reverse chronological order. Because this is a make it or break it deal for me. You save for a year for a trip of a life time, a dream come true, only to be lied to.

Mentioned in this post
Dromoland Castle
Dromoland Castle
337 Reviews
Newmarket-on-Fergus, Ireland
Elizabeth City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exploring Vacations tour operator

"One thing I will say is that there are no habitable 5th Century castles here."

Funny how on our own itinerary that you sent us it says 5th century for the Dromoland Castle. Also, after rearranging our schedule, the agent was able to get us back Dromoland. But after having to "upgrade" us to a hotel in Cork, now we suddenly owe you another 280 Euros. Why should we have to pay for YOUR mistake? Not happening.

Mentioned in this post
Dromoland Castle
Dromoland Castle
337 Reviews
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
58,778 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exploring Vacations tour operator

Why are you quoting Bean A and then responding to her as if she works for the tour company?? You're not making sense at all, I'm afraid.

Edit: Dromoland's website does say 5th century, which does seem a bit misleading to the casual tourist I think.

"With an extraordinary history stretching back to the 5th Century, Dromoland Castle was originally the ancestral home of one of the few families of Gaelic Royalty; direct descendants of Brian Boru, the High King of Ireland. "

Edited: 22 July 2014, 01:52
Mentioned in this post
Dromoland Castle
Dromoland Castle
337 Reviews
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Reply to: Exploring Vacations tour operator
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted