We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Ireland

Toronto, Ontario...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Ireland

I am planning a two week trip to Ireland with my boyfriend in July (he is a teacher, so summer is our only time to travel. I realize it will be high season, so more crowded in the touristy spots). We are primarily interested in beautiful views and scenery, places with interesting stories, Irish culture, meeting people. There are so many castles to see, but I decided to just pick two (Cahir and Kilkenny) as I assume we will become castled out if we see too many (after reading the forums, decided to take the suggestions and skip the touristy Blarney castle).

Here is my first try at an itinerary.

Day 1(Sat): Arrive early Dublin (red eye flight), explore

Day 2(Sun): More touring Dublin

Day 3(Mon): Pick up rental car in morning, drive to Kilkenny. Explore. Kilkenny Castle.

Day 4(Tues): Drive to Rock of Cashel, spend 2 hours, drive to Cahir, spend 2 hours, Drive to Kinsale.

Day 5(Wed): Explore Kinsale. Would like to do a cooking class to learn local cooking.

Day 6(Thurs): Drive to Kenmare (suggestions to make this day more interesting??)

Day 7(Fri): Drive Ring of Kerry (clockwise, against busses), stopping overnight in Waterville.

Day 8(Sat): Continue driving ROK, stay in Killarney.

Day 9(Sun): Day trip to Gap of Dunloe. Return to Killarney.

Day 10(Mon): Drive to Dingle peninsula, do Slea head drive. Stay in Dingle.

Day 11(Tues): Weather permitting, day trip to hike on Blasket island, return to Dingle

Day 12(Wed): Leave Dingle and drive to Tarbert, take ferry across to Killimer. Drive to Doolin to stay overnight.

Day 13(Thurs): Do Cliffs of Moher first thing in the morning (doing the longer walk, to try to leave the crowds a bit), then head to Galway.

Day 14(Fri): Hang around Galway a bit in the morning, then drive back to Dublin to stay for the night. Return car.

Day 15(Sat): Taxi to airport for 9:30am.

Some questions:

1. Anything you would suggest changing in the above, things to skip or things I missed? Is it doable? Or too much driving? Suggestions for better towns to stay in that what I listed?

2. Is Day 4 too long? Should I cut a day from somewhere else and stay maybe in Cahir, and do the castle on the second day first thing?

3. For Ring of Kerry, is it better to do it in one day and get to Killarney sooner, have three nights in one place for a break, rather than 1 and 2 nights separately? Or if it's better to break it in half so can dawdle more off the beaten track, is there a better place to stay than Waterville? I don't know the towns on the ring much, just picked it because it looks about halfway.

4. How best to see Gap of Dunloe?? Drive through it? (seems the locals frown on that). Drive there and park, then walk through and back? Hire the horse & trap?? So far I am thinking walk.

5. Are Blasket islands worth hiking??

6. Is it too many 1-nighters??

7. For last two days, should i instead keep the car and drive it to Dublin airport in the morning? I was worried about driving too much in Dublin (and also parking), which is why I was thinking to drop it off early and take a taxi.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Ireland

I will answer those I feel comfortable answering:

2. Is Day 4 too long? Should I cut a day from somewhere else and stay maybe in Cahir, and do the castle on the second day first thing?

- I don't think so although I have not done the drive from Kilkenny to Cashel or Cahir to Kinsale. I would say that 2 hours at each site is good although you may add an hour to see Hore Abbey in Cashel (just down the hill from the Rock)

3. For Ring of Kerry, is it better to do it in one day and get to Killarney sooner, have three nights in one place for a break, rather than 1 and 2 nights separately? Or if it's better to break it in half so can dawdle more off the beaten track, is there a better place to stay than Waterville? I don't know the towns on the ring much, just picked it because it looks about halfway.

- I think you will be well-served to drive the ring in one day. it really isn't terribly long but do plan an entire day for it. Remember, you will have loads of daylight in July so get an early start, pack a picnic lunch and explore to your heart's content.

The only other thing I would say is that if seeing castles is high on the list, you may want to consider fitting in Trim Castle. Last year i visited Cahir and Trim both for the first time and Trim was, to my taste, a much better representation of what I expected from a Norman style castle. Don't get me wrong, Cahir is grand and well restored but it was more of an on your own sort of tour whereas Trim had a very nice guided tour. As an added bonus Trim is close enough to Dublin airport to be a base for the night before departure.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,556 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Ireland

DAY 10 - Slea Head, if the boat trips are going to the Blaskets on the Monday, go then, dont wait til Tuesday and find they are not running. Blasket trips are VERY weather dependent and may run one day and not the next. And yes the Blaskets are well worth seeing and hiking on.

PS Dont try to do SleaHead against the buses, it doesnt work, hubby tried it once and had to back up half a mile. The buses wont/cant back, you will hav e to!

3. Re: 2 weeks in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:20