We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days in SW Ireland - suggestions for spots to stay in

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
9 days in SW Ireland - suggestions for spots to stay in

We just booked our flights for June and we're so excited. Family of 5 from U.S. - mom, dad, 2 teens and a 7-year-old. We will be there for 9 full days and would like to pick three towns/cities to stay in for our travels. We fly into Shannon and will drive to Cork. My husband has plans to run in a triathlon there (yes, we plan family trips around this activity!), so we'll be in that vicinity the first 3 days. From there we'd like to travel west and see places like the Dingle Peninsula and vicinity, so I'm thinking of maybe Tralee as the next stopping point for a few days. Finally, we want to head north to Galway and some points north, like Connemara, so maybe be in Galway for the last few days before driving back to the airport. For the experts, do these stopping points make sense? Any particular towns people would recommend?

Other than the race my husband will be in, we're mostly interested in seeing the beautiful scenery and historical sites like castles and churches, not so much shopping or sporting activities like golf. Hearing some good music would also be nice.

We're just starting the trip planning now that I got over the sticker shock of 5 airline tickets across the Atlantic, so moving on to where will stay.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,571 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days in SW Ireland - suggestions for spots to stay in

I would definitely change Tralee to Killarney, both are about an hour from Dingle but there is so much more to do and see in Killarney, the lakes, the National Park, Torc waterfall, Muckros etc etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
480 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days in SW Ireland - suggestions for spots to stay in

i would say either get up to Clare/Galway for the whole remaining six days or spend it in Cork and Kerry. 9 days will soon pass in a leisurely way round places such as Dingle, Baltimore, Bantry, Knightstown, Kenmare. You will hear music in all these places, but they are small, so your teens will have to agree to that, and you will have to book early. But you might find the castles and ruins are more plentiful in Clare than in Kerry. I have not done a count though!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days in SW Ireland - suggestions for spots to stay in

I agree about changing tralee for killarney and maybe leave galway for another trip....after your husband's run i'd say stick to counties kerry and clare....there is so much to see that you'll not want for things to keep everyone happy....I think the kids would love the boat trip out to see fungi while in dingle and will love bunratty folk park and maybe even take in the ceili at the castle one night....

since minors have to be out of pubs by 9:00 and the music doesn't start until after that, you might go to the music festival in ennis one evening......

ireland
Level Contributor
212 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days in SW Ireland - suggestions for spots to stay in

I had a family stay with me from the US last year and they did a few coach tours that they enjoyed. They used a group called Paddy Wagon tours and they went to the cliffs and Galway for an over night trip. This might be a way of getting to the farther away places easily. Killarney would be much better than Tralee for things to do. Also check out the gap of Dunlop tour as this is a very beautiful tour on a nice day and the scenery is amazing. It is a boat trip and then a walk but very nice

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
195 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days in SW Ireland - suggestions for spots to stay in

Thanks for the responses, so Killarney it is then, for the middle of the trip! One questions for oma14, or anyone, up to what age is one considered a minor in Ireland? My oldest will turn 19 while we're there.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 days in SW Ireland - suggestions for spots to stay in

18 year olds can drink in Ireland.....

Edited: 02 March 2014, 04:09
7. Re: 9 days in SW Ireland - suggestions for spots to stay in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 06:16