We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

We are looking for a self catering cottage (using shamrock cottages,Open to other suggestions). But I am having a terrible time deciding what town to stay in!! we would like to be near a beach, for walking. Also we plan on cooking a few meals at the cottage, so in a town with a grocery store. But most importantly, we would want to be in a reasonable distance to attractions/things to do. we are staying a week. Any suggestions?? I was thinking waterville looked nice??

Edited: 07 March 2014, 17:04
Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

When are you visiting? Killarney would be the most popular spot but tends to be busy. Dingle is a real "get away from it all". Waterville is gorgeous as indeed the area around Caherdaniel/Derrynane. Also, Portmagee/ Valentia Island is quite popular during the day but settles down to a lovely pace of life each evening.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

We will be there this june?? they all sound so wonderful! so hard to pick a place!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,846 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

The problem with being out on a peninsula is getting anywhere else, fine if you are only interested in 50square miles but pointless if you want somewhere as a touring base.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 18:21
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

I presume you will have a car? The "best" place depends on what you hope to see. If you want to be near a beach, the houses at Wine Strand west of Dingle are as close as you will get ,unless you find a beach hut!

http://www.dinglewinestrandcottages.com/ It's outside of the town of Dingle itself, though so you'd be driving a few miles to pubs/shops.

In July we stay in Dingle itself and come out to Wine Strand each day. It's my favourite beach on the peninsula. There's plenty to see in and around the peninsula, but if you wanted to see other site/sights Dingle is not best placed to allow you to visit say, Kenmare etc.

I'm not mad on the beach in Waterville but the beach at Derrnynane near Caherdaniel is lovely.

derrynane.com/ring-of-kerry/caherdaniel/

Any places in south Kerry will ,like Dingle mean you have to travel some distance to some places like Killarney.

Bottom line ,if you want to do lots of particular sights like the Gap of Dunloe, the Ring of Kerry, Killarney National Park, you'd probably be best to go for Killarney, but this puts you a distance from the beach.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

"The problem with being out on a peninsula is getting anywhere else"

Very true..... But why is it a problem? Many don't want to be anywhere else when they get there

HarveyIreland has it sussed. Walk out your cottage door at Wine Strand and straight on to th beach. A place where "mañana" is term of urgency.

The "best" town in Kerry is the one that suits your itinerary

Killarney as the best base for day trips. Listowel as a town with character in North Kerry. Dingle for the beauty and culture of West Kerry. Kenmare is a lovely base for Beara and points south. All have their merits.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

It depends a lot on what 'attractions' you have in mind. We first came to Dingle in 2000, and came for a week or two every year since, finally gave up and moved over last year. I still find new things to do and it would not bother me if I never left the peninsula again, I like walking, riding, nature watching, pubs, music and meeting people. The only place I like as much as Dingle is Castlegregory, now there are some beaches!!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

Would love to be you, Fushia..when we win the Lotto, I'll be down for good. ideally, I'll have a house in Wine strand and one in town close to Murphys ice cream.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

Murphy's ice cream! Mmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

will have to try it some day...

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what are the best towns in county kerry to stay in?

I'm partial to a bit of Murphy's (sea salt variety is my favourite) but it is VERY expensive. €3.50 a scoop ain't cheap.