We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera's

Bluff Dale, Texas
Level Contributor
167 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Camera's

We are traveling to Ireland in September, and this question might not be appropiate for this forum so I apologize if it is not. I wanted to ask and see if any one has a suggestion on what type of camera to bring? I will be bringing an IPad, but I would like a small digital camera that takes really good pictures. Does anyone have any suggestion? Also, I really don't want to spend a fortune on the camera , perhaps $250.00 or less, preferably less, but I do want some really good photos. Thank you in advance.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera's

Canon Powershot SX 510 - great little camera, and I think you can buy it at Amazon for less than $200

I like the canon "g" series, but they're closer to $500 . . . . .

Bluff Dale, Texas
Level Contributor
167 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera's

Thank you Sarnia, I appreciate the advice.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera's

Canon's are great little cameras but the SX510 is a little bulky. The one Sarnia mentioned has a 30X optical zoom and that makes it bigger just because of the zoom.

Take a look at a Fuji XF1. It's a small camera with a good wide angle lens (like the SX510). When people buy these cameras they always ask "How powerful is the zoom?" The question they should be asking is "How wide angle is the zoom?". A wide angle lens is better for travel because it lets you shoot landscape pictures and family groups at the wide setting and then zoom in a little bit for the other pictures.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera's

Lol - I consider the SX510 "compact" because 9/10 times I use a Canon Eos 450d (think it's a "rebel" in US), and the "g" as my compact, so apologies Pen201, if I've misled you.

:-)

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camera's

Whatever camera you get, buyit in the U.S. cos I'll guarantee it will be cheaper than Ireland

Edited: 07 March 2014, 21:18
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camera's

@ paulkris - just had a look at the Fuji you recommended : Very Nice indeed!

:-)

Bluff Dale, Texas
Level Contributor
167 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camera's

Thank you all for the advice, I am just starting my search for a camera so this will be very helpful.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camera's

Sarnia, I'm with you. Anything is light compared to the DSLR cameras! I get a little too enthusiastic about this kind of question as I was in the business for over 30 years!

Southern California
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camera's

So, Paulkris,

I was also looking into the Canon SX series, funny that SarniaG mentioned it, but in your opinion the Fuji XF1 is better? Would you say for the $200 price range the FX1 would be your top pick? :) Thanks

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camera's

hi pen! I have a Canon Power Shot SX130 IS with a X15 zoom....got it at wally world for about $150.....nice and small, fits in a small case that I carry on the belt of my bum bag and it takes amazing shots....