We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Ireland in April

Mountain View...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Ireland in April

My family of three with a 9 year old child plan to travel to Ireland in April, spending 4 days in Dublin and our remaining 6 days traveling to Kilkenny, the Ring of Kerry and Galway, ending in Shannon. We are planning to mix budget stays with splurge nights and would appreciate any suggestions on places to stay or comments on itinerary. Many thanks!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,176 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Ireland in April

Will you hire a car? Do all 3 of you plan to share a room? B and B or hotel, or mix?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,641 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Ireland in April

along with Harvey's questions, is there a particular reason for staying 4 of 10 days in Dublin?..

Edited: 10 March 2014, 17:13
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Ireland in April

Hi Laura. Lots of great attractions for your 9 year old in Dublin - and I'm sure you will enjoy them too. My grandkids loved the National Museums ( gold jewellery, bog bodies, the Dead Zoo ) Dublinia ( mostly Dublins Viking history, lots of interactive stuff) Viking Splash Tour, buskers on Grafton Street, playground in St Stephens Green. For a not too nervous 9 year old, maybe the St Michans mummies too. There's also the Zoo in Phoenix Park, and lots of opportunities to see Irish music and dance, touristy, but fun, eg Arlington Hotel show, Jig at the the Powerscourt Shopping Centre. If you want to take a day trip out of Dub, have a look at Newgrange, a fascinating ancient site, and atmospheric enough for your 9 year old.

I love Dublin, but 3 days might be enough, giving you an extra day for some of Irelands glorious countryside and coastline.

For the ROK part of your trip, I love Kenmare and Killarney, with Killarney maybe having the edge in terms of child friendly attractions. Look at jaunting car rides, boat trips on the lakes, visiting Ross Castle, Kissane Sheep Farm, Muckross House and Traditional Farms. I think your itinerary is basically fine, but as mentioned earlier maybe take a day off Dublin, spend a day/night in Kilkenny, which is a lovely town, and a bit more time in Kerry or County Galway.

In Dublin, I would go for a central hotel with a family room, can't really advise without knowing your budget, however I wouldn't choose Dublin for a splurge, as you will only use the hotel to sleep in. Maybe stay in a castle type hotel in County Galway - have a look at Ballynahinch, or Abbeyglen.

Near Killarney, Friars Glen ( not a castle but an upmarket b and b/ hotel ) gets great reviews, haven't stayed there but I am sorely tempted for my visit this year.

When you are choosing accommodation outside Dub, think about whether you prefer walking distance from restaurants etc or are willing to drive/taxi in the evenings.

One last thought, Bunratty Castle is close enough to Shannon Airport. You can't stay in the Castle, but it's a great place to visit, and again lots to interest your 9 year old.

I hope this gives you some ideas, google will be your friend, have a look and come back with more specific questions.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Ireland in April

I would also agree re: 4 nights in Dublin maybe being too many. Also, would recommend car rental for your trip outside the capital.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 23:03
5. Re: Traveling to Ireland in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:18