We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donegal to Galway

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Donegal to Galway

Greetings Again from the Newlyweds! I messages my buddy tony2phones about this, but in the event he doesn't get it in time because it was sent last minute, I thought I would make it a public forum post. We are currently staying in Glenties, Donegal and leave in the morning for Galway. We spent the day touring the Glenveagh, Marble Hill, Sheephaven Head area, but haven't had the time to explore the southern part of Donegal. Can you make some suggestions to get the most out of our drive tomorrow to Galway? I would like to take the most scenic and castle routes.

Blarney Castle & Gardens
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Walking Areas
Kilkenny Castle
Historic Sites, Castles
Trim Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,847 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donegal to Galway

Its a fair drive down point to point down to Galway. You could possibly fit in the Slieve League, Carrowmore and maybe one of 3 other options mid point http://goo.gl/maps/MbUj9

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donegal to Galway

Your drive will be lovely anyway as far as Sligo. From there I would go to Ballinrobe on the N84 and turn off for Cong (R334 and R345). This is the location of Ashford Castle and the Quiet Man movie. After having a wander around, you have two options, A. Drive more or less direct to Galway via Headford or B. Drive west around Lough Corrib and come out at Maam Cross ( R345 and R336). Its a beautiful drive through the Maam valley. You could then head into Galway via Oughterard. Drive from Sligo to Caong @ 1.5 hours and roughly the same again from Cong to Galway ( via Oughterard)

3. Re: Donegal to Galway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 04:50