We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

Three adults in our early 60s going to SW Ireland in early May for 10 days. We fly in and out of Shannon. Here's what we think we will do, but need TA expert advice. I will be doing all the driving as I've driven in thr UK before and my friends have not. We aren't into late nights, but would enjoy seeing some Celtic dancing at some point. Will probably eat in pubs, or moderately priced places. Not into hiking or miles of walking. Enjoy history, shopping, scenery. None of us has been to Ireland before. Thanks for your help!

Day 1- arrive @ Shannon at 7 am, get prebooked Dan Dooley rental car, drive to Killarney where we have already booked 7 nights at The Priory's " Teach Mor" cottage. Can't check in til 4 pm so thought we'd take the tour of Muckross House and Farm.

Day 2- take full day tour of Gap of Dunloe via bus, cart, and boat

Day 3- drive to Blarney Castle just to see it, not to kiss it. Then on to Cobh and the Titantic Museum.

Day 4- easy day-church service? Stroll around town or the National Park

Day 5- self drive Ring of Kerry

Day 6- open

Day 7- self drive Dingle Penninsula

Day 8- check out of cottage, drive via ferry to Cliffs of Moher and The Burrens. Check into prebooked Carrygerry B & B near Shannon airport

Day 9- open. Prebooked for the B & B's early bird dinner

Day 10- fly out 9 am to Newark

Some days can be switched if weather is bad.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

Looks good. Day 8 seems a bit busy. Any chance of staying near the cliffs/Burren one night leaving a single night near Shannon instead of two? Consider Bunratty for last, full day in Ireland.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

I'd suggest visiting the farms at Muckross and skip the house, unless you really enjoy that sort of thing. It is a lot of walking up and down stairs. The farms, on the other hand, have a trolley that circles and you can hop on and off. While in the area, I'd suggest a jaunting car ride up to Torc Waterfall in place of the house tour. In my experience, the drivers are more interesting than the tour guides in the house - likely because they have more freedom in discussions with their passengers.

I'd also recommend Bunratty. Their 'traditional night' is fun for most ages, though some will doubtless find it overly quaint or a bit twee. If you go, you simply must try the mead - it is better than most I've gotten in the States. Also, be sure to go all the way down to the church...if you keep watch, you may end up seeing wild red deer eating from the trees.

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

Is the jaunting cart ride up to the falls in Killarney different than the one to the Gap?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

Honestly, I don't know. I've always only done the one to Torc Waterfall...mainly because I have a bit of a thing for waterfalls. :)

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

The jaunting car to the falls from Muckross is different to the one through the Gap of Dunloe. They are quite a distance apart (with a large mountain in between!)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

You might find a steady drive from SNN to Killarney can take the best part of the day, Maybe get Breakfast at the Airport then call to Bunratty for a short look round.. From there to Adare before the final leg.

Day 6 or 7 drive Beara Peninsula which is to my mind the best of the 3 main ones down there, Dingle can be driven between Killarney and Newmarket on Furgus saves doubling back over the same ground. The Cliffs etc can be done on day 9.

Basking Ridge, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

Thanks for your help TA's. One last question-- are there any suggestions for things to do or see on the days we have left "open" with nothing planned? We are already booked for the 7 nights at 'Teach Mor" in Killarney, and the 2 nights near Shannon at the B & B. Thanks for your suggestions.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,967 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

Already suggested Beara for day 6 or 7. For the time in Clare there are the usual and less usual West Clare options http://goo.gl/maps/xMOHV and the lesser still visited East Clare http://www.visitclare.net/

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

Driving from Killarney to Newmarket on Fergus via the Dingle Peninsula is a long drive and will give you little time to enjoy Dingle, in my opinion

Edited: 07 April 2014, 18:00
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to finalize itinerary- please advise

I loved the tour of the Muckross House! I thought it was fascinating Don't pass this up if you have time. .