We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

Bluff Dale, Texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

This is our Itinerary, we will be traveling to Ireland in September, if you can please give me any advice regarding it, I would appreciate it greatly. There will be 4 adults traveling, and we will be renting a vehicle.

Friday- Sept. 5th-Land at Shannon airport, at 10:45, pick up rental. Travel to the Cliffs of Moher, and then the Burren Perfumery, and then to our B&B in Kinarva.

Saturday- Early wakeup , eat a full Irish breakfast, head towards our cottage outside of Clifden. Stop at Mollycullen Marble Factory, Oughterard rock mine, and head to Roundstone and perhaps have lunch here and look around if time allows. Head to Clifden, stopping for provisions and then to our cottage. Relax, and then maybe go to a Pub in the evening.

Sunday-Connemara National Park and Kylemore & and a Pub. Does anyone have a suggestion for one that is good in this area, and laid back. Prefer one that is more old fashioned perhaps. It does not have to be in Clifden, but anywhere in surrounding area.

Monday-Delphi Valley, and Doolough Pass, maybe taking in Killary, Is Delphi valley and Doolough pass worth the drive from Clifden or should we do something else that day?

Tuesday- Go to Cong, quiet man museum , Ballintubber Abbey, Our Lady of Knock.

Wednsday-Take the ferry out to Inishbofin Island and tour the Island for the day.

Thursday-Maybe just take it easy around the cottage or , tour the Connemara Smokehouse, The Bog, or whatever else is close by. Shop in Clifden.

Friday- Wakeup & head towards Bunratty Courtyard, we have reservations there & also for the Bunratty Celia show at 5:30 that evening. Take our time and see sights along the way.

Saturday- Irish Breakfast , have my friend at the airport by 10:00 and then make our way towards our cottage on Caragh lake near Killorglin. Any suggestions on a route, or things to see and do on the way. Check in is not until 4:00.

Sunday- Go to Killarney, Muckross house, tour the Gap of Dunloe, and do some hiking.

Monday- Early rise and Tour the Ring Of Kerry

Tuesday--Travel to Dingle, and tour town, Slea Head Drive, Connor Pass, Gallus Oratory, Dunquin Blasket center. Is this too much for one day?

Wednsday---Maybe rent a Kayak or a boat and boat on Caragh lake if possible, do some hiking near our cottage. Or travel interior roads of Ring of Kerry.

Thursday--Maybe travel to Beara Peinsula, is it quite a bit different from the Ring of Kerry, Or the Dingle Peinsula? Or any recommendations?

Friday--wakeup, and start our travel back to Bunratty in order to be close to the airport for our flight out the next day. Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternate route back to Bunratty, or things we should see before we leave Ireland , we have no special plans that day, so we should be able to take our time.

Saturday- Fly Home

I realize we could have seen more if we had chosen to stay in B&B's, but finacially self-catering is more economical for us. I don't know if I have too much on some of our days and not enough on others. I really want it to be a relaxed trip and just enjoy what we are seeing or doing at the time. I don't envision running from place to place and trying to fit it all in, as being very much fun. My favorite fantasy of Ireland is finding a cozy Pub, and listening to some great music, and listening to stories of Ireland from the ones that live there. And perhaps traveling some backroads. Thank you for any suggestions that you can give me and Thanks to all of the TA advisors who have already given me great advice.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,400 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

Call into Celtic Crystal as you pass through Moycullen,,

Lowrys will tick the old world pub box for Clifden our oldest "local bar" there are others with different feels and you will find one to suit..

Drive up to Westport for a daytrip take the N59 one way the Doonlough valley the other. Yes definitely worth the time and effort.

http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu -- http://goo.gl/Ek8bpw

Beara is the best of the main peninsula's Ireland as Ireland used to be before the tour bus brigade.

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g775193-i20379-k459…

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

That's all very doable. Be prepared to swap around days as some of them will be more vulnerable to bad weather. In particular, the ferry trip to Inishbofin and the kayaking could be vulnerable to high wind.

Bluff Dale, Texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

Thank you both for your advice. Our Itinerary is not very rigid so we should be able to switch the days around, and thanks for the advice Tony about the Pub, I definitley intend to check it out.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

I'm going to Inishboffiin in July. (never been before) I'll send you back some tips after I've been. If I forget, come back to me end July.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

Just a quick recommendation.

You are here on the 19th September (Friday), that is Culture night, where across the nation all art galleries/museums/visitor attractions open their doors for free from 5pm - 11pm, there are numerous different events planned outside of those, performance arts/music and such like, it is in my opinion one of the best nights of the year.

You should consider Limerick that night, it is close to Shannon airport, it has an excellent cultural infrastructure which makes it one of the better locations for Culture night, there will be several dozen things to see and do that evening alone, I cannot recommend Limerick high enough (I have spent Culture night elsewhere). All events are free, it would be an excellent way to round off your trip.

Bluff Dale, Texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

Thank you both so much, the more advice I receive the better. And I will come back to you Byrno at the end of July and see how your trip was. I hope you have a wonderful time. Limerick sounds lovely. If our schedule can fit in , we will definitely visit Limerick.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

With regard to getting provisions in Clifden, there is an Aldi store on the right as you enter the town. It is probably the easiest supermarket there for parking. There is also a "Super Valu" store in the town centre, but parking here generally means going into the underground car park (free) and the products in this store, while being more varied, are generally more expensive.

Regarding your travel around Dingle, your itinerary is spot on. On the way back to your accommodation, you could stop for a meal or a drink in Annascaul, at "The South Pole Inn". This was formerly the pub owned by Tom Crean, the Antarctic explorer who was a member of Ernest Shackleton's party. There are some artifacts there from his trips to the Antarctic. The Guinness is good and the food comes highly rated.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

looks good.....just make sure you have a designated driver because that's too far for me to come and bond you out of jail....8-)

Bluff Dale, Texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

But I know you would Oma! Its good to have friends in High places, or is that Low Places? LOL No seriously we will be very careful. My husband is very responsible.I am the one that likes to have too much fun!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,520 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland Itinerary for September, any advice?

tony, maybe you should arrange to be in clifden when pen is to give her husband some male companionship.....it would be a great act of kindness, think about traveling with 3 women, the poor fella doesn't stand a chance....