We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 5-6 Days

Northern Calife
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Only 5-6 Days

Hi:

We are landing in Dublin on June 12th and flying out to Bristol England early afternoon on the 17th-so a short trip. We are a mom and young adult son and want to visit outside of Dublin, we want to see Cork, Limmerick, Kilarney and Cliffs of Mohr and any castles in the vicinity. Interested in small villages etc Willing to rent a car and drive . Would like suggestions on where to stay and best driving route.

Thank you!

Freebe

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,858 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 5-6 Days

12th June Arrive. If it's an early arrival use this day to do a HOHO trip to get your bearings

13th Day 2 in Dublin, continue exploring

14th Pick up car, drive to Doolin, stay Doolin, visit Cliffs (one mile away) and other sights depending on time

15th Drive to Killarney, explore Muckross House, Gardens, Torc Waterfall, Ross Castle, and Killarney town itself

16th Gap of Dunloe -8 miles from Killarney, then drive to Blarney Castle in Cork and afterwards head back to Dublin, dropping off car at airport and spending last night at the Airport or Dublin city. You might get time to visit Cahir Castle or Rock of Cashel on your route back to Dublin. My preference would be for RoC.

17th depart. There will be little time on this day to do anything other than last minute shopping or just relax.

It's just a suggestion. 15th and 16th in particular will be very busy, but doable. I did not include Cork on this itinerary (apart from a brief visit to Blarney) as there is not time.

Others here will have additional suggestions for you.

If you prefer to do your trip without a rental car, the itinerary will have to be tweaked.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 08:55
Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Torc Waterfall
Torc Waterfall
3,025 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
2,342 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe
3,006 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Blarney Castle Hotel
Blarney Castle Hotel
381 Reviews
Blarney, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Dublin City Apartments
Dublin City Apartments
97 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Cahir Castle
Cahir Castle
642 Reviews
County Tipperary, Ireland
Rock of Cashel
Rock of Cashel
3,234 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 5-6 Days

Since you said "explore outside of Dublin" you should rent your car the day you arrive and take off from the airport. If you reverse the order from the plan above, you could start your first day by going to Kilkenny and staying there the first night. Then head to either Cork or Killarney for the sites you want to see over the next two-three days. Then up to Cliffs area for a night. You'll probably need a night in the Dublin area before your flight.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Northern Calife
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 5-6 Days

Thank you for great ideas!

Freebe

Northern Calife
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 5-6 Days

Yes I like this idea very much. I have been to Dublin before-its very nice. My 21 year old son wants a more "authentic" feel to our stay and I like your suggestions!

Sincerely

Freebe

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 5-6 Days

I'm assuming that you will take in the Rock of Cashel if you're in the Kilkenny area. It was one of the highlights of our trip!

Mentioned in this post
Rock of Cashel
Rock of Cashel
3,234 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
6. Re: Only 5-6 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 04:17