We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

Sparta, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

Hello! My boyfriend and I will be making our first trip to Ireland at the end of April. For a surprise for his birthday, I'd like to take him to Ailwee Caves for a Hawk Walk, then go to Dunguaire Castle for a Medieval Banquet. Do you have any recommendations on how to get to these locations from Dublin without a rental car? And, can you tell me if it's possible to get from Dublin to Ailwee, complete a Hawk Walk, then make it to Dunguaire Castle for the dinner that evening? I would really appreciate advice to make his birthday one to remember!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,535 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

Short of hiring a private car and driver and probably spending the night somewhere after the banquet (because I don't think the driver could work for 8+ hours and then still drive back to Dublin in the same day), I can't see how this is possible at all, to be honest.

Unless I'm not reading things correctly and you're not intending this as a day trip?

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

The only thing I can think of is this

burrentours.com/index.php/sample-tours/ultim…

But short of hiring a car, I don't see any way of incorporating the 2 attractions on the one trip.

Sparta, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

I'm not necessarily looking for this to be a day trip. We're willing to spend the night in one or both locations, or consider a different location all together if there is convenient transportation available. Is it possible to get to both of these locations without a rental car?

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

It is possible to catch the 7.15am Gobus to Galway{route720} arriving Galway at 9.45.Then take the 10.30 bus{route50} to Ballyvaughan arriving 11.25.You will then have to walk to Aillwee Caves for the Hawk walk which takes about half an hour.Walk back to Ballyvaughan and catch the bus{route 50] to Kinvarra at 15.25 arriving Kinvarra at 15.50.The only bus back to Galway is at 20.10 from Kinvarra.I don't know the times of the banquets but if there is an early sitting then you might just do it.

Sparta, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

That's fantastic advice! We just may be able to make this work after all! Thanks so much!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

GillMAC has given you good advice regarding public transportation options.

What you intend to do is quite difficult without a car, but following Gill's advice is do-able.

http://www.ballyvaughanireland.com/node/4

Maybe consider getting a taxi from Ballyvaughan to Aillwee, to give you some extra time there.

After the banquet in Dunguaire, I would recommend that you stay in Kinvara for the night(leaving you with the option to attend the early or later banquet). You could then head back to Galway the following day and spend some time there before heading back to Dublin.

www.kinvara.com

Sparta, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

I'm looking for a place to stay in Kinvara at this moment! Thanks again so much, I think this is going to work!

Sparta, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

I wanted to send a brief message with a HUGE thank you for everyone's help! We were able to take the GoBus from Dublin to Galway, then BusEireen to Ballyvaughan where we were able to find a taxi to take us to the caves, then return for us when we were done. Our bus then to Kinvara was a very tight catch, but we made it in time, and arrived in Kinvara with time to check into our accommodations, then to the castle for the banquet. I was able to make arrangements with Galway Tour Company to pick us up at the castle the following morning so that we could take a tour of the Cliffs and the Burren on the way to Galway where we stayed the night and spent the following day before catching another GoBus back to Dublin. All worked out super well. Thank you so much - you really made Bryan's birthday surprise super special!!!

Mabel

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

Glad it all worked out so well and thank you for reporting back

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin - Hawk Walk Ailwee Caves - Dunguaire Medieval Banquet

Mabel, that is brilliant. Fair play to you for getting all that in to such a short time.

And thanks for coming back to us. Bryan is a lucky guy:-)