We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

S W
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

I am traveling with my husband and two tweens. My kids are good travelers but changing hotels frequently is not desirable. I thought if we picked 3 locations and used them as satellites for lodging and traveling to day trips that would work best. I thought Dublin, Cork and Limerick but everyone I talk to tries to discourage me from Cork. It seems so pretty am I missing something? My kids are walkers and we plan to rent a car and I was thinking Ring of Kerry, Dingle Pennisula could be shared between our stays in Cork and LImerick. Also I do want to see Cliffs of Mohr and Galway but maybe they are too far from Limerick? We want to see as much natural scenery as possible. Open to suggestions :} Thank you!!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

I don't know why anyone would try to put you off visiting Cork! It's a great place, the city itself is compact and very laid back. One of my favourite parts of Cork county is Ballycotton, so many nice places around there, Garyvoe beach and the fabulous Ballycotton Cliff walk. Ballymaloe house is a great place to grab some food and I always love visiting Shanagarry to pick up some nice pottery.

West Cork is also fabulous.

Perhaps make the most of your base choices rather than using them as a means to seeing other places? I would think that its too far to do a day trip from Cork city to The Ring of Kerry, especially with kids on board.

www.ballycotton.com/leisure_walking.htm

http://www.ballymaloe.ie/

discoverireland.ie/Arts-Culture-Heritage/gar…

S W
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

Thank you so much Dubfam!! the links are great! I definitely want to see the bases as well as the surrounding areas. Should I break down and and stay Dublin, Cork, Kilarney and Limerick? Is Limerick a reasonable distance from Galway area?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,029 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

I agree, Cork is nice. Not sure why anyone would want to talk you out of it. Except...it's not really a good base for day trips to the Ring of Kerry and Dingle. You'd spend a good few hours on the road just getting there and back.

I'd consider Killarney instead.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

12 days gives 3 nights in 4 bases so consider what exactly you want to see and do.. I would concur that Killarney would make a good base. I prefer Ennis to Limerick but that's a personal thing as would be the driving round Dingle between Killarney and there.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

They wouldnt be my choices, there is nothing wrong with any of the cities listed except that they are the biggest three cities, one would be enough for me, but I'm a country person at heart, why not change one of them to a smaller location and get some fresh air.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 19:57
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

First off, three nights in Dublin would be far too many for me. . . unless you're going to do some side trips from there outside of the city. If it were me, I'd do several nights in the southeast , maybe Kilkenny or somewhere down on the coast, then Killarney, then Dingle (2 nights), then Galway area--so much to do there for side trips. The people we met while on our trip didn't have great things to say about Cork.

S W
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

Ok, if not Cork/Kilarney where would you suggest then? thanks!

Edited: 26 March 2014, 20:10
S W
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

Eek I'm not the best at figuring these message boards, my question about suggested cities was for Fuscia, but I'm open to all. Thanks!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

One city would be more than enough for me! and that would have to be Dublin. Dingle town or Killarney would be smaller places to stay.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So confused- 12 days I thought I had a plan but now I'm not

This is what I would do,

Dublin 2 nights , 2 full days there will be plenty of time to see the main sights. The head to Galway for 2 nights. This will enable you to tour Connemara on Day 1, Aran Islands ( if you wish) or just explore Galway itself on Day 2. On Day 3, head south and take in the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher en route. Perhaps stay in Limerick or Ennis ( Ennis would be my preference but thats only my opinion). Next is where I differ from most. I would then head to Killorglin for 2 nights. It is a central base to explore Dingle on Day 1 and Killarney on day 2 without being stuck in the crowds. As it is on the Ring of Kerry, on the third day I would drive to Kenmare taking in Valentia Island and stopping off at the many photo ops en route. Kenmare is the ideal base for exploring west Cork and the Beara peninsula. Then onto Cork itself for 2 nights ( Dubfam has already given you some links for here). Then I would head for Kilkenny for one night ( Kilkenny itself is lovely and don't forget the Rock of Cashel 40 miles away. From there back to Dublin for your flight home. This way you aren't back tracking on yourself while still seeing a lot of Ireland.

Dublin 2 nights

Galway 2 nights

Ennis 1 Night

Killorglin 2 Nights

Kenmare 1 Night

Cork 2nights

Kilkenny 1 night