We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to Change Currency

New Jersey
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to Change Currency

I will be arriving at Shannon Airport at 8 a.m. on a Sunday morning. From there I plan on taking a bus to Galway. Where is the best place to change my U.S. dollars for Euros to get started? In the States, I can purchase what they call a Tip Pak from Triple A. Present cost is 78 Euros for $127. They are charging an extra $20 for the Tip Pak. That's not really a bargain.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to Change Currency

Just bring your credit/debit card and use the ATM at the airport. Let your bank know you are going out of the country. You will pay whatever your bank charges, there is no charge at the ATM here.

Tip Pak? Do they mean money for giving tips? Read the section on 'should I tip in Ireland' in the questions on the right of this page.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,492 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to Change Currency

doneraile is right...don't pay highway robbery prices for euros....just use your cards at the airport...best exchange rate....don't bring u.s. dollars, worst exchange rate you can get....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,570 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to Change Currency

"Tip Pak? Do they mean money for giving tips? Read the section on 'should I tip in Ireland' in the questions on the right of this page."

I think that's a typo. "Trip Pak" is a package of currency the automobile association sells. Kind of a starter set of foreign currency until you get to a bank or ATM.

Manistee, Michigan
Level Contributor
257 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to Change Currency

There is an ATM right at the Shannon airport where you can use your ATM card. If that for some reason is not working, there are ATM's everywhere you go. Getting cash was not a problem at all.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to Change Currency

Oh thanks, Irishfan, that makes more sense, I didn't think of that!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to Change Currency

I stand corrected. It is Trip Pak. Thanks to all for the good advice.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,646 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to Change Currency

Just take a fistfull of USD as an emergency backup in case cards don't work. Don't change unless there is an emergency!

8. Re: Best Place to Change Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 06:15