We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time of Visit

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
51 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Time of Visit

I'm planning my second trip to Ireland for late summer/early fall. Due to some commitments at home I'm either looking to come over the Labor Day holiday (end of Aug/Early Sept) or in mid-October.

Obviously October will be much more quiet; however, will things be shut down early or not open? Are crowds still at their peak at the end of August?

Also, interested in exploring Belfast and Giant's Causeway on this trip and am thinking of taking a train there from DUB and a day trip to Giant's Causeway from Belfast, then returning to DUB to rent a car for the remainder of my trip. I'd like to avoid backtracking as much as possible and know there may be an issue renting a car in the Republic and driving to the North.

Thanks for any feedback, this forum was a great tool for my last trip!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time of Visit

I went mid September last time I was there and would recommend September as opposed to August as August is peak time and many schools are still off etc. Good chance of good weather, things still open, fairly long evenings (half 7 and was still light one night), and fair warmth. Just my opinion. If I could go again I would definetel go September.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,161 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time of Visit

Early October will be fine, the days will be getting a little shorter, but not significantly.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Time of Visit

Schools are back early September, longer days and better chance of good weather.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time of Visit

There is no problem driving a car to the North, the problem really arises if you want to return it there. September is a good time to visit.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time of Visit

I think the only issue regarding the car rental would be if you wanted to leave it in Belfast. As long as you hire the car and return it in the south, then you should have no problem ( open to correction). Regarding the better time to visit, beginning of September would be ideal as the schools will have reopened and quite often we get good weather around that time.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
51 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time of Visit

Thanks all. Is there a need to rent a car for the Belfast/Giants Causeway portion or would a day trip from Belfast be sufficient? I've read a car would allow us to take the coastal route which is spectacular.

Is the drive from the Giant's causeway to Donegal feasible in one day or would you recommend a stop on the way, and if so where?

Thanks!

7. Re: Time of Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 07:15