We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full day Barge Tours in Ireland

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Full day Barge Tours in Ireland

Does anyone have any tips or advice for booking 1 day barge / canal tours in Ireland ?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full day Barge Tours in Ireland

I don't know of any day tours. You can rent a barge for multiple days and navigate yourself but I don't think that's what your interested in.

What is your itinerary so far? Knowing that we might be able to point you in the right direction.

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Full day Barge Tours in Ireland

4 of us are spending 9 days driving around Ireland. Ive seen the Barge/Channel trips and thought it would be fun. Thanx

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full day Barge Tours in Ireland

Ok thanks. I don't have an answer but have sent off a query to 'Inland Waterways Association of Ireland' Will let you know what they come back with.

Quite a few companies do hire barges for multiple days as previously mentioned, but I've not come across any yet who will do a one day or few hours tour.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full day Barge Tours in Ireland

You can have dinner on La Panise on the Grand Canal it is a night time affair dinner and drinks on board as you sail up and down the Canal and I think theit is another one operating out of Grand Canal Dock that does something similar Look up IWAI they have members that operate outside Dublin.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full day Barge Tours in Ireland

You could also do the Corrib Princess trip in Galway

http://www.corribprincess.ie/

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Full day Barge Tours in Ireland

And, Viking Tours Ireland operates two shortish trips on the River Shannon, out of Athlone.

One to Lough Ree and the other to Clonmacnoise:

http://www.vikingtoursireland.ie

Their season normally runs from Easter to October.

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Full day Barge Tours in Ireland

Thank you everyone

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Full day Barge Tours in Ireland

Apologies for delay getting back to you. I got a response today from IWAI (Inland Waterways Association of Ireland) and thanks very much to Colin Becker for that.

Here is what he said in relation to my query:

"There are a number of companies doing shorter trips of a couple of hours but most of them operate on the lakes and rivers.

See: http://iwai.ie/rentals/daytrips.html

The only one doing day trips on a barge is Larrys Barge

www.larrysbarge.com

based at St. Mullins in Carlow.

There are also a couple of barge based restaurants. The longest established is the Galley restaurant which operates from New Ross and Waterford. www.rivercruises.ie

They have a couple of boats (St. Brendan and St. Ciaran) and do dinner and daytime cruises.

The MV Riasc and the MV Cadhla are both restaurant barges operating on the Grand Canal in Dublin. Riasc doesn't tend to move much but I think the Cadhla does dinner cruises.

You would want to call ahead though because these businesses tend to come and go "

End of Message.

Please let us know how you get on and whether you do get to do any barge tours when you are here. By the way I did the Viking Boat tour on Lough Ree from Athlone town and while it's not a barge, this 2 hour tour was great fun, very informative and scenic. We even got to become Vikings for a little while ;-))

9. Re: Full day Barge Tours in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 06:15