We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Ireland

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Ireland

My husband and I are going to be in Ireland the last week in August. We have 2 days in Dublin and car rental for 5 days. Not enough time I know but there it is. What is a must to see. There is so much. Is it feasible to go to Ireland at that time and not have any accommodation booked once we leave Dublin. Does anyone think that we could just pick up something locally when we stop. What are your suggestions? Where should we stop? Help. We are travelling on a strict budget and hoping to spend no more than 100 euros a night - less if possible.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,930 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Ireland

Consider saving the Rental car money and use Public Transport and local tours.. Consider 2 days Killarney, 1 day Limerick and 2 days Galway with a later express bus back to Dublin airport and a hotel with a shuttle service. I am in suggesting that assuming you only have the regular tourist spots on the itinerary.

B&B's are typically €35-40 per person per night so within your budget. August is peak season so winging it will possibly require not being able to stay central to your chosen spots.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Ireland

My problem may be that I have read too may guide books. Here is my (maybe) itinerary:

We really want to drive so ....

Day 1 - Pick up car in Dublin and head to New Grange, Tara, Boyne for morning and part of afternoon. Drive to Galway. Spend the evening in Galway.

Day 2 - Spend morning in Galway. Buy picnic lunch to eat while driving and head to Cliffs of Moher and Bunratty Castle and on to Limerick. Enjoy evening in Limerick.

Day 3 - Drive to Kilarney via the Dingle Peninsula (Gallarus Oratory) and Ring of Kerry.

Day 4 - Drive to Kilkenny via Blarney and Ring of Cashel.

Day 5 - Day trip to Wexford or Waterford and back to Kilkenny.

Day 6 - Back to Dublin by noon.

Is this too ambitious? Will we be spending all our time driving? When I check the mileage it seems each place is only a couple of hours from one another but everyone seems to indicate that it takes much time to get from place to place. I know that there will be other places we will want to see on the way from one place to another and if the driving times are not too bad i am hoping there may be some flexibility in our itinerary to just sit and dream.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Ireland

I think your itinerary is way too ambitious; it doesn't allow you to see the things you've listed, let alone make unscheduled stops (which I highly recommend) along the way.

We spent at least 3 hours (it may have been 4) at Newgrange/Knowth, and close to 2 at Tara; that plus driving 130 miles to Galway is a full day.

Starting in Kenmare, we spent about 10 hours driving the RoK and didn't get to see everything on our list. There is no feasible way to combine that with the Dingle Peninsula (with stops, took most of a day) and driving to Killarney.

Day 4 is doable; we didn't go to Blarney; near the Rock of Cashel, in Cahir, we liked their castle and the Swiss Cottage.

Between the wonderful guided walking tour, the 3 wonderful museums, and the crystal factory tour, there's more than enough for a full day in Waterford.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,930 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Ireland

To quote from what I presume is your question on another forum

" We are older and do not wish to spend all of our time driving around in a rush"

You can do your itinerary above but -- "Will we be spending all our time driving?" -- Yes. You will average 35mph on a good day.. If you want to do that run there are tours which will do point to point and nothing but a gift shop in between..

Arrive on a flight from Newfoundland.. not too long a flight but day 1 as planed on the end of it?? I wouldn't .. consider staying around Athlone with the aim of seeing Clonmacnoice before heading west to the Cliffs and Burren then overnight Ennis.

Drive to Killarney via Dingle as planned. But stay there 2 nights.. plenty to see/do have a car free day and take a tour.

Then one night for Kilkenny and forget the Waterford/Wexford detour.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,678 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Ireland

Why have you only specified Gallurus on the Dingle leg of your trip?

Iowa
Level Contributor
221 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring Ireland

You do have a very ambitious itinerary. What I recommend is buying or printing a map of Ireland and circling all these places you want to see so you can visually see how much ground you wish to cover. It's quite a bit.

Now, decide what you 'must' see.

Done well, the Boyne Valley is a day in itself. And the drive to Galway after will seem even longer after touring here.

Galway to Cliffs & Bunratty is doable, but if you're going to go to Galway, why not explore Connemara? If you don't do that, I would bypass Galway altogether.

Cliffs and Bunratty are easy to do in a single day; you might consider a Medieval Banquet at Bunratty. You will also find plenty of lodging around here, but remember you are near the Shannon Airport, so I would book your B&B/hotel in advance this night.

You won't fit in both the Dingle Peninsula and the Ring of Kerry in one day. I recommend two for Dingle alone. It would be best to choose one (I prefer Dingle myself - there is quite a lot to see/ do in addition to Gallurus Oratory).

Killarney to Kilkenny is a long drive on its own, and going to both Cashel and Blarney really makes it a trek. Again, I would choose one- with a preference of Cashel.

If choosing Wexford or Waterford, head to Waterford. So much going on this year as it's the 1100th 'birthday' of the city.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Touring Ireland

Ok - I have looked at a lot of good advice. Have thrown my schedule out the window when made to think about what I am really looking for in Ireland. Because our stay is brief (and we are coming from Newfoundland where the heritage is all Irish - the scenery is much the same - I live in a small community very much like the scenes I see on the Dingle Peninsula and Irish Trad music is pretty much what we were all raised on) I am looking more to simply soak up what atmosphere I can. Someone suggested that we decide what is a must - nothing - it is all just a strong what. So I have made a circle to drive and we shall see what we can in the areas we stop, It will all be good.

Day 1 Leave Dublin - do New Grange, Tara Boyne and overnight in Athlone.

Day 2 Go to Cliffs of Moher and area. Stay in Ennis.

Day 3 Drive to Dingle - look at some of the area and stay in Dingle overnight.

Day 4 Long day but no way around it. Leave Dingle and drive to Cashel. Stay in Cashel overnight.

Day 5 Drive to Kilkenny. Stay the night and explore around the area.

Day 6 Drive to Dublin to arrive by lunchtime.

I think that we may leave a lot of what we see to chance and hope for a lot of Irish luck. (Of course chance will be aided by a lot of research in the meantime)

Read more: www.frommers.com/community/forum-main…

8. Re: Touring Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 05:16