We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Day Dublin to Cork

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
7 Day Dublin to Cork

After a four day tour of scotland, my wife and I are planning a 7 day driving tour of southern Ireland in early June. I originally planned on doing Belfast to Cork, but decided to take some advice on here and stick with northern or southern Ireland, so southern Ireland it is!

The only thing that is booked is that we are flying out of Cork back home. I planned on us flying into Dublin from Glasgow on a Sunday, and we would leave the next Monday morning from Cork.

We are looking for something leisurely, nature-seeing, and relaxing. I would like to avoid hotel-hopping every night. Here are some things we definitely want to do: Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, and Skellig Michael.

Things we are otherwise considering are Cashel and Dingle Peninsula. Here is a rough draft.

Sunday- fly into Dublin and spend the night

Monday- drive out to Cliffs of Moher, overnight in Limerick

Tuesday- Drive to Cahsel for the Day, overnight again in Limerick

Wednesday- Drive half of Ring of Kerry, and stay overnight Cahersiveen

Thursday- Skellig Michael, overnight again Cahersiveen

Friday- Finish Ring of Kerry and stay overnight in Kenmare or Killarney

Satudray- wake up and make our way to Cork eventually

Sunday- Cork

Monday morning- fly back home

I'm just wanting to check that this is feasible. I have a feeling this is non-sense, but I'm afraid that this is too slow paced and my wife and I will sit around staring at each other when we are done for the day at noon. Is this too slow paced, or is it just right considering we want plenty of time to relax and take it all in outside of a car. Also, would you suggest two nights in Kenmare/Killarney or two nights in Cork? Thank you everyone.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Day Dublin to Cork

It's far from nonsense ! Just a few tweeks. My responses are below prefixed by @@@@

Sunday- fly into Dublin and spend the night

@@@@ Fine.. But not much time to explore Dublin? Is that intentional? In General two days minimum in Dublin city will give you a fantastic overview of it

Monday- drive out to Cliffs of Moher, overnight in Limerick

@@@@ Dublin airport to Cliffs of M is 170 miles and will take 3+ hours. On route a slight side trip to Clonmacnoise is well recommended. Then you could spend 90 mins at the cliffs and also worth visiting the pier at Doolin which is only a mile or so away. You could have some food at O'Connors. Then Doolin back to Limerick for the night is 52 miles a journey of 1+ hours

Tuesday- Drive to Cahsel for the Day, overnight again in Limerick

@@@@ 37 miles from Limerick to Cashel, a journey of under an hour. A nice day trip. On this day a side trip to Adare is recommended. (Adare is about 10 miles (each way) off your route towards Cashel. You could do this at the beginning of the day or after Cashel, though probably best to get to Cashel as early as possible so that you can beat the crowds.

Wednesday- Drive half of Ring of Kerry, and stay overnight Cahersiveen

@@@@ This is 103 miles a journey of 2+ hours. On this day you can also stop in Adare if you missed it previously. Cahersiveen is a fine town and only 10 miles from Portmagee which is the main departure pier for Skellig Michael. If you have not got accommodation in Cahersiveen, I can recommend Skellig Side B&B. A really lovely B&B just outside Cahersiveen and that family also own one of the ferries to Skellig M so you can book a package with them. I did it last year and it was a great trip, even if we did leave our breakfast in the bilges of Joe Roddys boat !!! On route to Cahersiveen, food is excellent in the Bianconi Inn, Killorglin. It's right in the centre of the town with a large carpark just down the road from it.

Thursday- Skellig Michael, overnight again Cahersiveen

@@@@ Boats leave the pier about 10am, so make sure you are at Portmagee at 09:30 at least and also very iimportant to book your place ahead of time. This will involve a phone call or email but no money to pay up front. The boats arrive back at Portmagee between 2pm and 3pm, depending on weather.

Friday- Finish Ring of Kerry and stay overnight in Kenmare or Killarney

@@@@ Because your trip is so short, on this occasion I recommend Killarney as an overnight. Loads to see in the immediate Killarney area. Muckross House and Gardens, Torc Waterfall, the Lakes, Killarney Town itself, Molls Gap, Ladies View, maybe Gap of Dunloe, but that might be pushing it.

Satudray- wake up and make our way to Cork eventually

@@@@ Cork is 90 minutes drive from both Killarney and Kenmare, whichever you choose. You could visit Blarney Castle on this trip. Worth seeing and on the route. Let me know where you are staying in Cork and I'll give you more info on what to do there.

Sunday- Cork

@@@@ Cork city doesn't open until about 12:30 on a Sunday. Today I suggest you visit Cobh or Midleton or Blarney (if you did not see it yesterday). Kinsale might also interest you

Monday morning- fly back home

@@@@ Airport is only 5 miles from city centre, a journey time of about 20 minutes depending on where you are staying.

Additionally, I recommend that you spend two nights in Kenmare or Killarney.

Come back with any further questions as they occur

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Day Dublin to Cork

Seems a busy but doable schedule. If you 'sit around staring at each other' in one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland I would be surprised.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Day Dublin to Cork

believe me when I say, you will not run out of things to see and do in the areas you picked...I would advise to make a backup plan for the cliffs of moher if the weather is bad...if so, it would be a waste of the short time you have, as the cliffs might not be visible....I could spend a week in killarney and dingle and never get bored....in fact with only 7 days I wouldn't spend time in Dublin at all but i'm not a city person, you may be, if so, you'll love it....

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Day Dublin to Cork

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice! To the first reply- yes, only one afternoon in Dublin was intentional. Our past few vacations have all been in large cities, and we are ready to get out of the cities for now. I think I'm going to stick with the schedule plus all of the advice you all have mentioned. This is my third time to readjust this schedule because the first two were too busy according to everyone on here, so hopefully it won't be too busy. I think we will spend two nights in Killarney and just one in Cork before we fly out.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Day Dublin to Cork

Also, I was only worried it would be too slow of a pace because I tried to make our last vacation too slow and it did get boring after about halfway through. BUT, it was Los Angeles and I know they are two worlds apart lol. I know there will be plenty of things to stop and explore so we can't wait

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Day Dublin to Cork

Hello again. I have slightly modified the itinerary because my wife and I will be celebrating our 3 year anniversary on Wednesday, June 4th and we would like to stay somewhere nice for that evening with some fun things to do at night. The original schedule would have us in Cahersiveen on our anniversary, and I think we would like to stay somewhere a little more lively. Also, we have decided to skip on the Skellig Michael because she tends to get sea sick easily. Anyways, here is the (hopefully) final itinerary for our Ireland portion of the trip. Let me know what you think! Again, we are mostly going for relaxing and slow-paced.

Monday (6/2): Fly into Dublin and stay overnight. Not big city people so we are fine with just one night.

Tuesday (6/3): Drive to Galway. Probably Trad on the Prom that evening since she loves dancing. Overnight here

Wednesday (6/4): This is our anniversary. Cliffs of Moher. Not sure what else to do, but I'm sure we can find something fun to do and romantic things for the evening with a nice dinner. Any nice romantic restaurants and accommodations for Galway would be appreciated.

Thursday (6/5): Drive to Killarney with a stop at Adare along with way. Overnight Killarney

Friday (6/6): Drive the Ring of Kerry. Overnight again Killarney

Saturday (6/7): Killarney National Forest sightseeing. We love seeing nature so I think we would have plenty to do here. Overnight again Killarney

Sunday (6/8): Drive to Cork. See Blarney Castle. Overnight here in Cork

Monday (6/9): Fly back home out of Cork Airport

Is 3 days in Killarney too much? I didn't think so considering we are nature people, but wanted to get your opinion. If it is, maybe we could split the difference with 2 nights in Cork instead, but I thought we would enjoy 3 nights of not having to move hotels in Killarney. If someone could recommend a good B&B or hotel to stay in Killarney that would be great. Not too expensive, but with good views of the forest/nature. Thank you

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,441 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Day Dublin to Cork

don't change a thing...it's great as it is....have a wonderful anniversary celebration...

8. Re: 7 Day Dublin to Cork

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:15