We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip

Boston...
9 posts
Save Topic
First trip

Hi, I'm 18 years old from the United States and I'm looking to travel to Ireland. I want to go in the middle of May and stay for around a month, I will be alone. I know that I would want to fly into Dublin and stay there for two or three nights with a hostel booked in advanced so I can get into Ireland, sleep off any jet lag and prepare before I set off. From Dublin I want to walk to the Wicklow Way to Clonegal and then take the bus to Cork. I'm still planning from there. I will be on a pretty tight budget, I have $1000 to last the month and because of that I was hoping to do some wild camping when I can, I know that it is not allowed in alot of parts along the Wicklow Way however if you go off the path, leave early, and of course pick up after yourself you should be fine (though I read that in Glendalough it is strictly enforced so I would stay in a hostel then). So all together I guess I'm asking if it is safe, and reasonable to do so before I start asking more specific questions. I appreciate all input and advice, thank you.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip

It's safe as in , unlikely you will be mugged ,however ,walking alone on what be be quite a lonely and wild route is not the best of ideas.

Boston...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip

Because of the chance of getting lost? I've read that the trail is well marked, have you ever walked it?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,510 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip

I've walked a few bits, mist can come down very quickly and the posts aren't always as clear as one would like.

Boston...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip

So would you say there is a big enough chance for someone to get lost on the Wicklow way that it should not be walked alone?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip

Solo Walkers should take the standard precautions.. let people know where you are going and then that you actually got there!! I have not walked the Wicklow way but most of walking on the Island of Ireland requires basic map reading skills and a map to use them on.. have a fully charged Mobile phone although coverage might not be available everywhere there will be pockets of coverage. Dare I show my age by telling you to carry a whistle..

Boston...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip

I agree, my map reading skills aren't what I would want them to be however not terrible. I would be sure to have a mobile phone on me and always charged, and haha having a whistle was already I was going to bring!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,985 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip

I think you'd have a great time but if I were you mom i'd better so nervous...you say $1000 for a month?....today that would be about 721 euro, which would be only 24 euro per day to eat and sleep.....that's pretty slim money....

Boston...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip

Haha she is, but she knows that it is generally safe there and I am responsible. And I agree it isn't alot but because I would be wild camping some nights I would save money those days to stay in a hostel or bed and breakfast other days, and eating wouldn't be too much per day as long as I stay away from restaurants and cook my own food.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,985 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip

well have a wonderful time but i'm really afraid, even cooking your own meals that you may have a few hungry days and few or no inside accommodations....I don't think safety will be an issue at all but not having the money for rooms when the weather gets bad would be a real concern.....do come back and tell us how it goes.....

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip

Is anyone likely to ask him at immigration how much money he has, that doesn't sound like enough for 4 weeks?