We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Itenerary

Wichita Falls, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon Itenerary

Hello all,

I am planning a honeymoon in Ireland from 6-14 Oct. My fiancée has been to Ireland before so I am intentionally leaving out some of the stuff she did last time. I am generally targeting smaller towns, hence no stays in Dublin/Cork/etc. Here is the basic plan:

Day 1: Arrive Shannon, Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, Burren Area, Galway

Day 2: Day Trip from Galway to Clifden to Cong back to Galway

Day 3: Galway to Dingle with some sightseeing along the way

Day 4: Tour Dingle Peninsula, stay in Dingle

Day 5: Drive to Killarney and/or Kenmare. Not planning to do the ROK, just explore Killarney and the National Park.

Day 6: Drive to Kinsale

Day 7: Kinsale. Maybe day trip up to Cork City, but I understand there is a gourmet food festival in Kinsale this weekend and would like to take that in.

Day 8: Cahir, Cashel, other sightseeing on our way closer to Shannon. Maybe Adare for the last night.

Day 9: Depart Shannon

Some of my questions: Is the trip to Clifden and Cong and back to Galway feasible in a day? Would anyone recommend staying in Kenmare over Killarney?

Any recommendations for places to spend that last night close to Shannon? I know Bunratty is there. Is it too touristy?

And lastly, does anybody see any big oversights in this plan? I really like the idea of multiple nights in most stops as opposed to the "run-and-gun" attempt to see everything in the travel guide.

I'm mostly interested in relaxing with good food and full pints.

Thank you in advance,

Pete

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,956 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Itenerary

Day 1 off a long flight would ring alarm bells for me. Some of the roads you would be traveling would be narrow and winding. Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

Cahir and Cashel are not on the route from Cork to Adare.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Itenerary

Second the day one alarm bells. Got some other long pulls there. Don't know why you have particular places on your list, all good, but they're very spread out. Experts on this forum, I'm not one of them, will tell you to ease off the gas pedal and spend time in the places, not in the car. Not like driving back home on the interstate. Best wishes to you both.

Wichita Falls, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Itenerary

Thanks for the feedback, Harvey. I see what you mean about day 1. I have hopped the pond many times as a cargo pilot and usually handle the next day pretty well, but no sense in exhausting ourselves on the first day. We could make a straight shot for Galway, then catch the Cliffs on the way down to Dingle.

We would have to swing out a bit to catch Cashel, but it looks like it only adds 75 km or so.

Thanks again,

Pete

4. Re: Honeymoon Itenerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 06:16