We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAT refund

Seaside Rental...
Level Contributor
152 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
VAT refund

Is this worth it? I read that the "card" is not used by all merchants, so is keeping receipts a better idea? Is there a minimum purchase on receipts?

Thanks!

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VAT refund

It was certainly worth it for us, I would not pass up getting money back that was deserved. On our last trip I think we got over $60 back (in full disclosure, I did purchase a bohran in Roundstone). It really isn't a big deal at all to either use the card or keep your receipts and fill out the paperwork and get it approved at the airport. We did had both and it was easy peasy.

Seaside Rental...
Level Contributor
152 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VAT refund

Thanks for your reply...where did you get your card?

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VAT refund

I actually ordered it online before the trip and was able to register it before going. It was in 2010 and at that time, it was free, including free shipping (that may not be the case now).

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VAT refund

one of your merchants will offer it to you....in fact you'll be offered one several times, but you only need the one......

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VAT refund

Full details of the VAT refund scheme here

citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreat…

Also do a search on the forum - seems some people find it a problem and there have been many threads on this subject.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: VAT refund

From The Travel Section of The Washington Post - May 15, 2014 - an article on Value Added Tax (VAT) in Europe (EU countries); Canada, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand, for example:

What is VAT? How is it calculated? How to claim a refund. Is it worth the hassle?

How to track your submission, if there is a delay with the payment of your VAT Refund:

washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/the-vat-…

7. Re: VAT refund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:15