We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

I have 2 platinum cards but both say collision is not covered in the Republic of Ireland. I've read that there is a "World" Master card that you can apply for that will cover this. Is anyone familiar with this? About how much is it if I purchase the insurance through the rental car company?

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

You really need to research this question using the FAQ section of the Ireland Forum. Only SOME of the World Mastercards cover the excess insurance and they only cover certain parts of any charges. The cost of the excess coverage will vary from company to company.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

Found this single topic to be quite complex. Renting a car in Ireland is not like picking one up in Troy for a weekend in the Adirondacks. Lots of posts on this topic.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

And the more you research it the more you get the impression the Irish government does not want tourists coming cluttering up the roads with rental cars... It really is time this was sorted, it must be the biggest single obstacle to tourism in Ireland.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
533 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

Insurance has to be underwritten by an Irish company, which actually makes sense given the difficulties of collecting internationally. I doubt it will be changed anytime soon, because it's the best protection the government can provide the rental agencies.

I've never had a problem, just paid the insurance and cluttered up the road.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

my super cdw is $306 for 17 days, class b car, with dooley rental....that's about $18.00 (E13) a day......

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

Interesting Oma. Mine is $15.86 per day for 29 days for a Group T car (Nissan Qashqai) and that includes glass and tire. Also with Dooley.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,827 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

well paulkris, I too have all insurances including glass and tire....maybe they like you better than me???....8-)

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

I think it was probably due to the length of the rental. Also because I whimpered when they gave me the total.

Franklin, Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

Hello:

We rent cars in Dublin from Enterprise. This company at the airport is very easy which which to deal. We have a Capital One World card. We contact the credit card company, tell them when we are going to rent, we receive a letter/email from Capital One stating CDW is covered in both Republic and Northern Ireland. You present the letter when you pick up the rental (you will still be pressured to purchase). If-when you get this card, read the benefits section. I believe the CDW covers a car up to $50K. Hope this helps.

Patricia Coyne

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what credit cards cover collision on car rentals in Ireland?

I have done exhaustive research for car hire for our upcoming Ireland trip next month. I have read all the fine print and finally decided on easytour Ireland due to best price, most coverage and zero deductible. However, I just found out that our Visa signature card (United Explorer) now covers Ireland and provides complete damage, collision, and theft protection which saves us several hundred euro over the 10 day rental period. BUT there is no personal liability coverage, which means if we had an unfortunate accident with another vehicle, (which we never have before but you never know), there would be no coverage for the other car or driver. What do people do when they use their credit card in Ireland? Any advice? The credit card coverage is wonderful, and I have no problem having a 2000 hold on our card, but feel uneasy without liability insurance. It does not seem wise for anyone to drive in ANY county without liability insurance. Would love to hear other's experiences.