We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Giants Causeway

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to Giants Causeway

My husband and I are first time visitors to Ireland and he really wants to see the northern part of the country. We will be leaving from Dublin with the intention of seeing Giants Causeway, Bushmills Distillery and other sights. Where is the best place for us to stay so we can get an early start the next morning for GC, etc.? I would rather drive one day and get a fresh start the next rather than try and cram it all in. We will have seven days total and would love to see some of the southern part of the Republic also. Doable?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Giants Causeway

My personal opinion would be that if your husband wants to see some of the north and you've only 7 days, keep to the northern half but that can include Galway/Connemara. That would mean you doing a loop in effect. Look on a map, draw a line and see what I mean. Dublin airport is north of the city so it makes sense to cover northern ireland sites at the beginning/end to avoid unnecessary backtracking.

If you want a splurge, stay at the lovely atmospheric Bushmills Inn. Otherwise I prefer coastal towns to stay in - Portrush, the more sedate Portstewart

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Giants Causeway

If you're staying in the longer summer days, remember the Causeway centre stays open longer and the actual Causeway can be visited anytime. Check the ropebridge opening hours as again I think it opens later in summer. I would add Dunluce castle to your causeway coast must do list.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Giants Causeway

You cant see Northern Ireland and the Southern part of the Republic in a week, but Donegal and the coast down to Galway is just as nice and not so busy, so heed Ponaire and stay north of Galway.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Giants Causeway

Just to clarify, we will be leaving Dublin on the afternoon of June 3rd and driving North. I thought we'd go a reasonable distance and stop for the night. At least get out of the city. Continue the next day to GC, spend the night around there somewhere nearby for two nights. Plan to see distillery, rope bridge and Dunluce Castle. Are Portrush and Portstewart easy driving distance to all these attractions? We fly out of Dublin on June 12th, so need to be back in Dublin on the 11th to return car, etc. Trying to change flight to leave a day later. Should we leave the northern area and head to Galway and to rent a place for the entire time and base from there? Thanks to all of you more than I can say for your help.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to Giants Causeway

If you don't want to make any stops along the way, you can drive from Dublin to Portrush (a good place to stay for what you want to visit) in a few hours. You'd be missing Belfast and the Antrim Coast, but that's your choice.

It took us one (full but not rushed) day to see Dunluce Castle, the Rope Bridge, Bushmill's, and the Giant's Causeway.

On the way to Galway, there's lots to see: Derry, Donegal, Connemara.

The part of our Ireland/Northern Ireland vacation from Galway to Dublin took us 14 days.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin to Giants Causeway

We thought we would get an early start on Wed. the 4th and go up the Antrim Coast, but bypass Belfast. Maybe we should plan to stay three nights near Bushmills, getting in later in the day on the 4th and take two days to see GC, Dunluce Castle, etc. Thank you so much.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin to Giants Causeway

If you're driving the coastal route you.could.consider the first night in Cushendall or Cushendun to see some of the glens of antrim, then the second night in Portrush/Bushmills area.

harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin to Giants Causeway

We might do something similar from Friday afternoon to Sunday in order to visit with our son. Could you please give a few details?

Where did you stay? In what order did you visit the sites? Would you do it again that way or would you make any changes?

Now that you have done this from Dublin, would you do it again?

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin to Giants Causeway

francetravel, If you want a place in the Glens as a base, The Meadows b&b in Cushendall is first class.

Friday is a great night in the village as there is great session in Johnny Joes Pub

http://www.mccollamsbar.com/

http://www.themeadowscushendall.com/

10. Re: Dublin to Giants Causeway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 05:15