We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of train tickets at station

Townsville
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Price of train tickets at station

I am wanting to get a train from Dublin to Limerick. I know I can get a ticket online from the Irish Rail website for 10 Euro (within 28 days of travel), but I was wondering how much more expensive it is to wait and buy it on the day at the train station?

Thanks for any advice.

Nick.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of train tickets at station

The cost at the station is €52.20. (I know !!) BTW, the online ticket price of €9.99 does not include credit card or transaction fees. Additionally, the cheaper online ticket only applies to certain train schedules, not all tickets.

breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-rail-told-to-d…

irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dublin-limeri…

Edited: 24 April 2014, 07:25
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of train tickets at station

A one way ticket frm Dublin to Limerick will cost 52.20 euro

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of train tickets at station

You should definitely buy online, if you buy 7 days in advance you get the best fare and it is 80% refunded if you cancel by the day before travel. There is a €3 charge for credit card purchase. If you do not travel on the exact selected train you can pay a €10 fee at the station to switch to a different train on the same day, so it would still be worth buying online and doing this if not sure of your time of travel

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,601 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of train tickets at station

The T&C state that you can change an on-line booking by paying EUR10 at the ticket office before departure - I assume this means the departure on your ticket, i.e. if you arrive too late for your train you lose your ticket - anyone know from experience how this policy is enforced? I've done this myself to take an earlier train, but then I did not get a reserved seat.

A good tip is to upgrade to first class on the train (ask the conductor) - was very cheap compared to buying the first class ticket.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 11:01
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of train tickets at station

In theory first class upgrades are supposed to be on full price standard class tickets, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the conductors either didn't know the rules or decided to turn a blind eye to it because there was still extra money coming in for filling an empty seat.

It's definitely something to be done on the train as half the trains (especially on routes other than Belfast and Cork) don't have first class carriages.

You're supposed to pay €10 plus the fare difference for a change. This will still work out as cheaper than buying the ticket at the station as the maximum online fare from Dublin to Limerick is €33. You can only change to another departure on the same day though.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of train tickets at station

If you arrive too late for your train, I am almost certain you can travel on a later train by paying a €10 supplement.

In any case, if you have booked less than 7 days in advance, the chances are you will have paid a fare that is the same as the ticket office price, and if so, you can chance to a different train at no additional cost.

First Class travel is not particularly popular in Ireland, so most trains don't have first class, and if they do, it is not any more luxurious than standard class. The exceptions are the Dublin-Belfast Trains, and the peak hour services on the Dublin-Cork line, which have a good first class service

7. Re: Price of train tickets at station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 05:16