We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connemara to Cork - what to fit in.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Connemara to Cork - what to fit in.

We are having a week in Ireland with a car, Dublin- Galway - Inishere - Connemara - Roundstone for the first 5 nights. Our plan was to drive down to the Dingle peninsular and spend some time there before flying out of Cork, but unfortunately after we had the above bookings confirmed we had to cut the rest of our time short and now only have two nights between staying at Roundstone and flying out of Cork at 10.40 am.

We are Australians and can't easily say 'well, we'll do that next time'! as there might never be another chance to visit Ireland, so we'd still like to fit in seeing the Dingle peninsular if that is possible.

The plan was to set off from Roundstone ( morning of 21st June) and play it by ear, seeing what we felt like on the way, and seeing how far we get, finding places to stay on 21st and 22nd before flying out of Cork on 23rd. (Flight booked)

My questions are - is it madness to try to fit in the Dingle peninsular? Should we be satisfied with all the wild coastline we have seen around the Connemara peninsular and look for something else?

What places are really worth investigating along the way?

Is finding accommodation possible on the day at this time of year? Though usually I like to plan everything, I don't know how long it will take to drive places so don't want to be locked in.

If we were to book ahead, what places would be spaced well to cover this distance??

Thanking all you experts in anticipation..

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Roundstone
Roundstone
County Galway, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Pax Guest House
Pax Guest House
#1 of 10 hotels in Dingle
Castlewood House
Castlewood House
#2 of 10 hotels in Dingle
The Killarney Park Hotel
The Killarney Park Hotel
#1 of 38 hotels in Killarney
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connemara to Cork - what to fit in.

Head for Ennis or maybe Adare on the 21st. I don't think Dingle is the best place in Ireland but you can as many do tour round the Peninsula and end up somewhere near Cork Airport the night of the 23rd, Kinsale is a regular tourist spot.

Between Roundstone and the Shannon Crossing http://goo.gl/Ek8bpw & http://goo.gl/maps/L5ihu which might also give some points from Roundstone then http://goo.gl/maps/e4gVk

As a couple with no preconceived expectations other than a clean comfortable nights sleep and a good breakfast then there should be no problems winging it any time of year. Dingle is up to you but if I were to do a peninsula then Beara would be the one even maybe only as to drive over the Healy Pass.

Mentioned in this post
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork Airport Hotel
Cork Airport Hotel
1,348 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Roundstone
Roundstone
County Galway, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Healy Pass
Healy Pass
193 Reviews
Adrigole, Ireland
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connemara to Cork - what to fit in.

Thanks Tony2phones for your reply and the links you sent. They will be really useful to follow up. Why Beara rather than Dingle?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connemara to Cork - what to fit in.

The Dingle coastline is very different to Connemara and worth seeing if you have time. Tony2phones detests Dingle, and would be generally regarded here as providing either objective or even rational views on Dingle

Mentioned in this post
Connemara
Connemara
County Galway, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connemara to Cork - what to fit in.

There is nothing wrong with driving the Dingle peninsula, you will find many posts where I tell people to drive around there but Practicality is the thing... the best bits of Dingle which gets all the tourist press is Slea Head are as far west as you can get and still be tripped up by tour bus's..

I have said Beara even if only the Healy Pass which is not a long way out gong down from Limerick, Adare, Killarney and Kenmare to the west Cork coastal drive round to Kinsale.

Mentioned in this post
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Slea Head Tours
Dingle Slea Head Tours
315 Reviews
Dingle, Ireland
Healy Pass
Healy Pass
193 Reviews
Adrigole, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
The West Cork Hotel
The West Cork Hotel
535 Reviews
Skibbereen, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connemara to Cork - what to fit in.

We have been looking at videos of the Beara Peninsular on YouTube and it looks wonderful, as probably the Dingle peninsular is. The lure of no tourist buses and the quietness of it all is appealing. However do we have the time, as it is further south than the Dingle peninsular. We set out from Roundstone on the morning of the 21st and we fly out of Cork on the morning of the 23rd. So we have 2 nights, the 21st and 22nd June. We would have to cover a fair distance south on the 21st (staying where? Kenmare/Killarney ?) Too far in one day?) then explore the Beara Peninsular on the 22nd, back to Kenmare/ Killarney then to Cork the next morning. Any comments on this?

Tony2phones you mentioned staying somewhere near Cork on the night of the 23 rd but the 22nd is our last night in Ireland. Does this change your views? ( now that you have convinced us that we have to go to Beara?)The big question I guess is what distance we are able to cover on the 21st.

Or do we abandon any ideas of any peninsular and instead concentrate on seeing the Burren (but will we have seen similar landscapes on Inisheer?) and other places in Clare, or Rock of Cashel, Killarney Lakes etc?

You must get sick of answering the same questions over and over...from indecisive tourists like me...

Mentioned in this post
Roundstone
Roundstone
County Galway, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
The Burren
The Burren
672 Reviews
County Clare, Ireland
Inisheer
Inisheer
Aran Islands, Ireland
County Clare
County Clare
Province of Munster, Ireland
Rock of Cashel
Rock of Cashel
3,234 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connemara to Cork - what to fit in.

Typo meant Ennis/Adare then down ending in Kinsale the 22nd..

I don't normally recommend Kinsale any more than Dingle town but when either of them make sense then they get my vote..

Ennis/Adare The Shannon Crossing is about 1/2 way between Roundstone and Cork so that makes sense for the night.. There are options from there to around Cork Airport the run above would be the most popular perhaps but it is equally as possible to head inland for Cashel and Cahir then Blarney?

If you consider the latter then maybe Killaloe/Ballina at the foot of Lough Derg for the night of the 21st which is the time of the Clare County Fledh http://discoverkillaloe.ie/index.php accommodation could be tight but should be available. then head to Cashel from there.

No question is the same, even if it is.. Of course some people think I talk garbage but others appreciate getting an answer that doesn't involve everyone off the plane meeting up again part way through.

Mentioned in this post
Ennis
Ennis
County Clare, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Roundstone
Roundstone
County Galway, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Cork Airport Hotel
Cork Airport Hotel
1,348 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Cashel
Cashel
County Tipperary, Ireland
Cahir
Cahir
County Tipperary, Ireland
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Ballina
Ballina
County Mayo, Ireland
County Clare
County Clare
Province of Munster, Ireland
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connemara to Cork - what to fit in.

Thanks Tony, will explore some of these options. I have to admit that I did somewhat fall I love with the little colourful villages that I saw on YouTube on the Beara Peninsular. However the rock of Cashel was on our original wish list before we realised that we couldn't fit it all in. I will do some more research based on the places you have mentioned. Thanks.

8. Re: Connemara to Cork - what to fit in.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 05:16