We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 3 and Day 4 in Dublin, suggestions for day 1 and day 2

Seattle, Washington
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day 3 and Day 4 in Dublin, suggestions for day 1 and day 2

Hello friends,

I have an upcoming trip to Ireland. Me and my spouse (both 30) are going.

Day 1 arriving in dublin at 8:30 AM

Day 2 --- unplanned

Day 3 --- Spending in Dublin

Day 4 --- Spending in Dublin

Day 5 leaving dublin at 11:30 AM wife returning home for work

Day 6 leaving dublin at 5:30 AM myself departing to onward trip

Of our 4 day trip, the latter 2 days I booked a hotel in Dublin leaving the first two days to hit one or two places outside.

Other than the city names, i don't know too much about which is busier etc.

Our interests : I like to checkout a couple of serene Irish towns, meet a few people at the pub and listen to music and maybe watch some folk dance, have a pint and eat local food, and if possible stay someplace on airbnb.

Having the second part of our trip in Dublin will be enough walking around and seeing stuff there. I am certain there will be enough to do in Dublin for all our trip, but I want to do something like this.

I looked at Sligo, it seems like a good choice with the Cos Cos Sean Nós Festival it will be fun. Could you please provide me with some insight.

TIA

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,624 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 3 and Day 4 in Dublin, suggestions for day 1 and day 2

How do you intend getting around on day 1 and 2? Sligo is a long way to drive straight off a transatlantic flight, just for 48 hours.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,353 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 3 and Day 4 in Dublin, suggestions for day 1 and day 2

Dublin Airport to Sligo town will take you about 3 hours depending on traffic and depending how you manage on the unfamiliar roads. Are you arriving in off a transatlantic flight or from somewhere in Europe? Its not really encouraged to drive long distances off a transatlantic flight as you may be suffering from tiredness and jetlag and woukd be a danger on the road - both for yourself andothers. You could consider taking the bus from Dublin airport to Sligo and then getting a rental car once you get to Sligo.

Obviously I'm biased as I love Sligo, particularly the coastline, but there is so much to see and do in the area that I am sure you would enjoy it. It is very much off the main tourist radar because it is much further North than the most frequented tourist sights. The festival you mention is taking place next month in a lovely scenic area north of Sligo.

Seattle, Washington
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 3 and Day 4 in Dublin, suggestions for day 1 and day 2

thank you fuchsia2014, dubfam.

Yes, we are arriving from Philadelphia. I thuoght about the driving vs riding the bus. I am ok with both in fact. My wife is from UK who is used to driving there. Also we are booked into one of those flights with fully flat business class cabins hoping I will get a good 5 hour rest.

Do you recommend any other towns not so far of a drive away from Dublin ? I will research the bus option.

Thank you.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 3 and Day 4 in Dublin, suggestions for day 1 and day 2

I went to Sligo and it was my favorite part of the trip! However, that would be a very long drive (four hours or so each way).

An alternative could be to go and explore Counties Meath/Louth. There are some prehistoric and medieval sites that are really easy to explore by car (pretty close together) as well as smaller towns (including some near the coast--like Carlingford). It's only about an hour-and-a-half drive north of the Dublin Airport, so if you rent a car you completely avoid the traffic. If you want to go further, you could either head out to County Cavan (also would find some neat towns that tourists don't frequently head to) or up to County Down in Northern Ireland on your second day. The Mourne Mountains in County Down are about a 2 hour drive from Dublin and offer great hiking (and dramatic coastal scenery).

5. Re: Day 3 and Day 4 in Dublin, suggestions for day 1 and day 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 06:15