We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Cell Phone for GPS While Driving

Lowell...
Level Contributor
73 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Using Cell Phone for GPS While Driving

Hello, it was recently brought up how the Gardai are cracking down on cell phone use while driving and that any "accessing of information" while driving could result in penalties. Has anyone experienced any issue with using their cell phones for directions as a GPS since? I'll be driving alone, and I was hoping to have it on the seat next to me just to shout out directions as I'm going. Will this be okay?

Lowell...
Level Contributor
73 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Cell Phone for GPS While Driving

Will this be a problem, do you think?

Thank you!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,549 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Cell Phone for GPS While Driving

Even holding a phone whilst driving is an offence. You can buy little holders that stick to the windscreen, not the best solution but better than being stopped by gardaí

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Cell Phone for GPS While Driving

While operating hands free is legal, the Gardai, under the new legislation, can still charge you with driving without due care and attention. Its a bit of a conundrum because imo, a sat nav would have the same level of distraction as a hand free phone. Personally, I wouldn't think its a problem to have your phone on the seat, provided that the app "speaks", otherwise, I think you could be in trouble.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Cell Phone for GPS While Driving

A phone app that speaks should be fine, as long as you do not touch the phone.

Lowell...
Level Contributor
73 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Cell Phone for GPS While Driving

Thank you! And, yes, it would just be left to its own devices in a cup holder/in my purse/on the seat to yell at me as I go. It's the GoogleMaps phone app. :-) I knew I could count on you guys!

6. Re: Using Cell Phone for GPS While Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 06:15