We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us pick where to stay for one night...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help us pick where to stay for one night...

My husband and I are going to visit Ireland with my family (both of my parents are from Donegal). We've our own car for rent all week. So far, our itinerary is:

Day 1: Land in Shannon and drive to Cork. Stay overnight with family.

Day 2: Drive from Cork to Donegal (Laghey) and stay over for one night with family.

Day 3: Drive from Laghey to N. Ireland (Strabhane) to see more family. Stay overnight in that area.

Day 4: Back to Donegal for more family visits. Ma & Da leave the next morning very early, so my husband and I are staying overnight at Coxtown Manor in Donegal. Hoping for a little romance without the family around! :)

Day 5: Golfing in Donegal and then....we need a place to go that's great (I'm kind of hoping out of Donegal...) for a young couple (30's) to stay overnight.

Day 6: Staying in Doolin in Galway overnight and then off to Shannon on Day 7 and back to the US.

Any recommendations? Sorry so long!

Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us pick where to stay for one night...

Good Luck with your drive from Cork to Donegal, it's at least 7 hours without stopping. Is there anyway you could break your journey for the night??

You could stay on the 5th night in Sligo, Westport or Galway. Galway would be the livliest, 3 hours drive from Donegal though, but Westport and Sligo would not be too bad either. Sligo is only an hour away, and I would say the Clarion Hotel would be the best hotel to stay in there.

Best of luck

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us pick where to stay for one night...

kamcc, that is quite some drive from Cork to Donegal! I suppose you mean Laghy near Donegal town? According to www.roadwatch.ie be prepared to spend all day in the car. But never mind, it can be done. I know what it's like with these family visits...

How about going to Westport (Co. Mayo) on your day 5 after the golfing? That is not too long a drive and you would see some beautiful scenery (might help to keep the romance going...). Westport is a lovely town and there are some nice places to stay.

The drive to Doolin (in Co. Clare) would not be too long the next day.

You don't mention when you will be in Ireland.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
246 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us pick where to stay for one night...

Cork to Donegal !! I think 7 hours is being generous... I would leave out the Cork bit and go from Shannon to maybe Galway and overnight there. Would recommend Killeen House, Bushy Park, on the Clifden road just on the edge of Galway city. Fantastic country house hotel, www.killeenhousegalway.com

Recommend Cromleach Lodge, Castlebaldwin, Sligo for amazing food and rooms for your other night away.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us pick where to stay for one night...

I heartily second Clauds' suggestion of Westport for day 5.

Donegal - Galway would be too long a drive, you'll need a break, and Westport will give that colorful, vibrant break you'll be after.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
350 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us pick where to stay for one night...

If you do pick Westport check out the Knockranny House Hotel - a fab new five star (with spa) on the edge of town. Its rather plush and not what you'd call small and friendly but defintely luxurious and has a great view of Croagh Patrick (so called Ireland's holiest mountain) - on a clear day that is.

Or check out www.hiddenireland.ie - for a site with lots of unusual accommodation options - they are mostlly country and stately homes whose owners now offer guest accommodation in a small number of rooms - the types of places with big gates and avenues that you can't see the main house from the road - a chance to step back in time perhaps? Many have large grounds or a fishing lake etc that you can make your own.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help us pick where to stay for one night...

Thanks All! We're going in the end of September. I'd LOVE to leave out Cork, but Auntie Emer would be very disappointed! Westport sounds just like what we're looking for.

7. Re: Help us pick where to stay for one night...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 06:22