We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Question

Ottawa
Level Contributor
347 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Question

Hey folks - I am researching our car rental and I wanted to be sure I understand things correctly. We plan on renting our car from Budget in Killarney, when I compare the cost with and without their CDW there is only a difference of a few dollars, does that sound right? Based on the terms and conditions of the rental it seems that if I take their CDW I will then have to either have a hold of E2100 for excess or buy Super CDW for E21/day; or if I use my own CDW I have to leave a liability deposit of E2000 and an admin fee of E25. If you have Super CDW from your cc or a third party do you still have to leave the liability deposit? I read my cc's coverage but it wasn't clear to me if it covers excess, I need to give them a call to confirm.

So in a nutshell, you either buy super CDW or you leave a deposit (whether or not you use their CDW or your own)? Is that pretty much the gist of it? Sorry if I am being repetitive, I just want to be sure I understand things correctly and that I'm not missing anything.

Happy Friday :)

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Question

Look to the right at the top of the forum page. See that box that says, "Top Questions about Ireland"? Go down about 12 bullets to the one about car rental quotes. Click on that link to open it. Hope that works for you.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Ottawa
Level Contributor
347 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Question

I did read it, I'm just confirming with the experts here to see if I'm understanding everything properly.

Silver Spring, MD
Level Contributor
190 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Question

While I can't speak to the specifics of your quote, your general statement of "either you buy super CDW (otherwise known as excess) or you have a hold/deposit placed on your credit card" is true. The hold is the CDW. Excess is optional and you'll find all sorts of opinions here on whether or not it's a good idea to take it out--I think it depends on a combination of your temperament, your own comfort with risk, and your price sensitivity. I recently rented with budget and outlined my receipt for those who were curious...

tripadvisor.com/…57910293

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Question

CDW is cheap. Excess, or Super CDW is NOT. IF your Credit Card covers Ireland, using it requires you to decline ALL insurance (CDW and Excess) -- You can NOT 'Mix and Match'. The 'Hold', or Deposit is IN LIEU OF the Excess -- as, the average renter damage does NOT exceed the 'Deposit' amount.

It is the Car Hire Company's way of getting their cash immediately -- rather than waiting for the Credit Card company to eventually cut them a check. The 'Terms and Conditions' usually specify that YOU are responsible for the damage -- and that it is up to YOU to seek reimbursement from your Credit Card Company.

SOME Car Hire Companies charge as much as 5000 Euro if you 'opt out' of their Insurance, so Budget's quote of 2000 Euro seems QUITE reasonable.

Like-wise, pretty much ALL companies charge 25 - 30 Euro for the 'Handling Fee', if you waive the CDW.

As I said, the actual CDW charge is relatively INSIGNIFICANT. I wish that the CC people would ALLOW you to buy it. It would be a good deal - for THEM -- as it would DRASTICALLY reduce THEIR exposure (Liability)! It would also be a good deal for the Consumer -- as it would reduce the cost of use, by eliminating the 'Handling Fee' AND reducing the 'Deposit'!

Edited: 03 May 2014, 02:54
Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Question

We are usually well prepared for all types of extra expenses, quirks etc when we travel but this one caught us unaware. We have travelled to and driven in other countries without issue. Quotes given on line were in line with what we had to pay and our credit cards always covered any extra insurance charges.

Then we arrived in Dublin, we a quote of 56 euro for the week and even with a tank of gas and some extras did not expect to pay over 120 euros for the week.

Then after a long flight, little sleep we are faced with the greatly inflated costs that do come from renting in Ireland, along with an explanation about the large amount of accidents as the reason why the credit card companies all backed out.

To make a long story short 56 Euro became 383 euro very quickly, not a great way to blow the budget on your holiday. We would have made different plans had we been warned/ informed and would have looked at the quotes from the different companies in a new light.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,060 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Question

i doubt that you could have gotten a weeks car hire for 56€! even 120€ would be exceptional yes, insurance in ireland is pricey, but as most of our visitors come from countries where you drive on the right, damage and injury is quite prevalent.

only some american cc companies cover ireland, and yo have to comply with the rental company's terms and conditions. so before you book, always check the t and c, otherwise you could be in for a nasty shock

you say that your bill was then 383€. was this because you took scdw, which would not be normally included in your quote, or in any cc cover (if applicable)? i presume that you returned car with a full tank too, to avoid the cost of refilling?

Bay Roberts, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Question

Nakagoli, here's the quote I received from a rental company (subject of another thread):

Car and Rate Information:

Large Compact Car

Opel Astra or similar

58.58 EUR (1 Week @ 58.58)

0.00 EUR (Drop Charge)

7.91 EUR (VALUE ADDED TAX 13.5 PCT)

* Total Charges 66.49 EUR

Total Charges include Road Fund Licence and VAT. Damage Waiver is not included and must be taken unless alternative coverage can be verified at time of rental. Additional protection products may be purchased.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, I've spent HOURS and HOURS here reading the experiences of others, some good and some wicked bad, and as soon as I saw this figure quoted for the week it raised a huge red flag with a light flashing under it. If I had not studied like I did, I would have thought "Man, that's a hell of a deal" and then would have gotten the fright of my life when we went to pick up the rental car. Now, they say above in the "fine print" damage waiver isn't included, but the E-Mail I received from them stated it was for damage over 1600 Euro. Facts aren't real clear, are they?

So, the point of my post, is no, you're right, you aren't getting a rental car for that price, but some companies certainly make it seem like you will, and (in my opinion) seem to have hidden costs (intentional or otherwise) that greatly increase the cost of your rental over quoted. Which is what Whitenight_013 experienced.

I checked on-line with other companies, and to use one as an example, quoted for the same period with a similar car is quoted as $299 Euro, and extras are laid out nice and clear. Referenced are base car rental, LLI, CDI and Extras. Matter of fact, right across the top banner is this statement:

Extra Charges Included In Quote

Excess Waiver: Selected

CDI, Limited Liability Insurance , Vehicle Theft Protection, Location Charges, Local Taxes, Unlimited Mileage & Breakdown Cover. Any optional extras above you have selected are also included in the total rental charge below.

Pretty clear isn't it?? Now that I know a little more, who do you think I'd rent from? I am certainly not going to go cheaply.

It's really unfortunate that good folks on their first trip to Ireland need to experience this.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Question

Have a look at this article, by Sarnia G:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c138899/Irela…

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
23,060 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Question

jamie. the relevant point is the comment that cdw is NOT included. yes, some companies will quote with it others without, but when booking, you should factor in all costs, which will usually be mentioned somewhere. i would be the first to agree that sites are not very clear, but the main criteria is not to just book the cheapest, but to look for the extras.

if you book on an american or canadian site, generally that is where you get the problems due to the cc type of insurance cover provided. it is always best to go to the site of the rental company in the country that you are renting, as most rental companies use franchisees, and sometimes the american franchisee is not fully aware of the conditions that apply in another country.

some rental companies in fact list the differing terms and conditions applying in other countries, and some dont.

i once got caught due to using the .com site of an american company, only to find on pick-up that cdw was not included in their quote. but i have never been caught out since. i learnt by experience.

Bay Roberts, Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental Question

Yes, agree with all points, especially the NA Companies. We're flying WestJet to Dublin, WestJet is partnered with National Rental car who is normally my company of choice when renting cars in NA. National is partnered with EuroCar rental in Ireland. I could go that way, but there's too many connections and links where things could be missed or go wrong, so I think Dan Dooley will be our choice for next month. Still got some study do though.

The first quote in my post above was obviously cheap and (in my opinion) deceiving. Even when E-Mailing the company, it's still not exactly clear what is included in the cost, and they refuse to give me extra charges that could / would be applied depending on options taken upon car pick-up. I pasted this conversation in the thread I started yesterday.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe