We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit in July

Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time visit in July

Hi all, posted here before and thank you for the great feedback. We have booked our flights-arrive in Dublin early morning July 16; leave from Shannon afternoon July 25. Will probably stay in Dublin two nights; we have lived in big cities so would prefer to spend most of our time in small towns and see the beautiful countryside. My husband prefers to stay in 3 places max (including Dublin) so we need some advice regarding two other somewhat central locations to stay as bases for the remainder of the trip. Here are some questions:

1. We will probably take the train from Dublin to our first destination-should we travel to Cork, Killarney, or Limerick Junction? Also, from looking on the Irish Rail website, it looks as though tickets are not available for July 18. Is this because it is too early to book or could all of the trains be already sold out?

2. We are interested in visiting Cork and neighboring towns, also the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula. We would love to see Doolin, Ennis, and Galway but are not sure we have enough time.

Given the above, where would you base yourself in the west/southwest to maximize our sightseeing/drinking/eating time and minimize our packing/unpacking/checking in/checking out time.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! I like to spend time researching, but this forum saves me so much time and I am grateful to the many knowledgeable and generous contributors! Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,108 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visit in July

9 days then express bus to Cork on arrival at Dublin, bus to Killarney for tours (Ring of Kerry Dingle) up to Limerick for tours of Clare (Burren Moher) then bus/train to end in Dublin.. it can be done,

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visit in July

Just to get the ball rolling: if you are limited to a maximum of three places, it looks like you have choices mixing up Cork, Killarney, Galway/Limerick and Dublin. Each choice would have to drop a city other than Dublin.

Those cities because of transportation links or you mentioned them. You need to be in larger towns if you are dependent on public tours/transit.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 00:51
Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visit in July

We were planning to rent a car depending on where we landed after Dublin-Cork, Killarney or Limerick. We were thinking about taking the train rather than the bus even though it is more expensive-it is somewhat faster. Given that we are leaving from Shannon our last day, which city do you think we should drop? I really hate to drop any, but realize we have limited time. We do not want to particularly stay in large cities, but will if they offer more convenience as a base from which to maximize our time. Thank you both for your great feedback! Looking forward to hearing more...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,127 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visit in July

If you're looking to avoid cities I would strike Limerick and Cork from your list. Galway City is not quite as busy and you could stay outside town somewhere like Salthill to avoid being in the mddle of things if you wanted.

So Dublin to Galway to Killarney to Shannon would be doable.

I think everyone thought you were doing this by public transportation. You're likely to find more choice of companies to deal with and possibly lower prices if you get the car in Dublin before leaving for the rest of your trip.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visit in July

Like IrishFan itinerary. Could do Dublin to Galway, get car there if pricing ok. Car in Galway opens up Connemara, East Clare, Burren, and those cliffs near Doolin. Options on drive to Killarney include ferry across the Shannon or Limerick Tunnel toward Kerry. Lots to do in Killarney. Muckross, Gap of Dunloe, Ring of Kerry, Dingle.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 03:41
Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visit in July

Would you skip Cork altogether then? What about going from Dublin to Killarney by train, renting a car and ending in Galway before we return the car at Shannon airport? Thanks!

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visit in July

Good. That way, you are working your way back toward the airport leaving a shorter drive at the end of the trip.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,507 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visit in July

LImericj junction is a station and not very much else. There's a hotel up the road but it wouldn't be my choice. Go straight to Kilkenny or Killarney.

9. Re: First time visit in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 05:17