We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip tentative itinerary

Haliburton
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip tentative itinerary

Hi,

I have a basic itinerary mapped out for our upcoming trip to Ireland. We are road warriors who love driving trips, scenery and local life is our passion We aren't big on castles, museums and the such when we do these road tripos . We do that when we are on a "stay put" type of trip.

Our purpose is to "see" Ireland at a general level and then return with a more specific focus.

Here is what I'm thinking..... ...more or less..... based on your help and research here and elsewhere. The locations shown are targets for our nightly stays. Tons of flexibility except for the Dublin dates and the Ennis dates...rooms are booked. The plan would be to find accommodations , other than Dublin and Ennis, as we go.

Is the agenda doable? Are we missing something significant? We aren't doing much inland is that a big mistake? Does it make more sense to eliminate a night in one location to maximize sight seeing time...for example does it make more sense to spend two nights in Donegal and eliminate Sligo or skip? And of course any recommendations for accommodations, eating, pubbing and exploring are always welcome.

You folk are so generous with your time and advice. I can't imagine how many vacations have been made so much better because of your knowledge . Thank you

Dublin May 25 & 26

Dunmore East May 27

Kinsale May 28

Kenmare May 29

Adare May 30

Ennis May 31, June 1st and 2nd.

Galway June 3

Sligo June 4

Donegal June 5

Belfast June 6 ......to catch the ferry to Scotland

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip tentative itinerary

Doable yes,, But,, even as Ennis's biggest fan in the eyes of some why 3 days there? can you pinch one and go to Belfast from Donegal with an overnight on the Antrim coast?

The other drawback is hiring a car in Dublin Ireland and dropping it in Belfast UK.. repatriation fees and all??

Haliburton
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip tentative itinerary

Hi, actually we booked the three days because of the bank holidays and worries about finding accommodations. We were planning to use Ennis as a base for an exploration of the Shannon River and Limerick June 1 and the Burren June 2...or vice versa.

The rental car is not an issue.....we are renting it in Glasgow and returning it in Glasgow ( our 4 weeks actually starts and stops in Glasgow.

If you thought it worthwhile we could eliminate the nights stay in Sligo and stay a night on the Antrim coast.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 19:56
Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,517 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip tentative itinerary

Can you bring the car into Ireland on a ferry from Scotland?

Haliburton
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip tentative itinerary

I thought so...We have rented the car from Avis. Picking up in Glasgow, ferry to Belfast, drining to the Republic and then returning to Belfast and the ferry back to Scotland.

In making the arrangements there was never any discussion about the ferry . Only an additional ( and substantial) fee to cross from GB into the Republic.

I'll have my husband double check, you have me worried.

.....but if we paid extra to take the car into the Republic from Scotland...,how did they think we could get there if not by ferry!!!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip tentative itinerary

If there is a big lump added for UK-Republic then that will be the extra insurance/recovery cover but do double check.. Also check the offer with Stena stenaline.co.uk/ferries-to-britain/special-o… booking & the same http://www.stenaline.co.uk/friend-goes-free you can save a bit playing with the ferry sites (stena line anyway)

6. Re: Road trip tentative itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 07:15