We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a driver

Mission Viejo
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
renting a driver

I am trying to figure out ways to get from Dublin to areas in southern Ireland, Cork, Kilkenny, Waterford without renting car. My family has 6 people in it and I tried contacting many of the tour companies but they are so expensive. It would cost $4,000 for 5 days and 3,000 if I don't need accommodations. Is their a less expensive way? I contacted 10 different tour guide companies and they are all similar in price. I thought of taking train to Kilkenny and getting driver their but then I will have to get train back. Seems confusing.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,367 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a driver

Kim, are the prices quoted in Euros or in Dollars? Just be aware that with 6 people you will need a very large people carrier or a mini-bus. So its not straight forward.

What you could do is base yourself in a number of locations such as Dublin, Limerick, Killarney and Galway and then take day tours from there.

Travel between the bases on public transport.

If your initial price is in dollars then the cost works out at about €96 per person per day. Including accommodation. Which frankly isn't bad at all.

Mission Viejo
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a driver

no the price was in euros. It averaged to be about 100 per person a day which adds up to 600.00 a day in $$. I was looking for a local driver that would take us around . After reading sooo many posts I think I want to go to Kilkenny Adare, Kenmare and maybe Dingle only have 4 days because I am spending 5 days in Dublin which I can not change. Is there one of these areas where I can base myself and then hire guide in that area. Then take train back to Dublin.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,367 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a driver

Kim, 4 days isn't very much to see the country.

What I would suggest you do is take the train to Killarney from Dublin and base yourself there.

Then take a number of tours from there. You can do the Ring of Kerry and go to Dingle. The Ring of Kerry tour should take you through Kenmare.

Then take the bus from Killarney to Limerick. This will stop off in Adare. You can then pick up the next bus going into Limerick. From Limerick you can get a bus or a train to Dublin.

You won't be able to include Kilkenny in this route but perhaps you might fit in a bus down and back from Dublin.

www.buseireann.ie

www.irishrail.ie

www.derostours.com

www.oconnorautotours.ie

http://www.killarneyshuttlebus.com/

4. Re: renting a driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:17