We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish Car Hire Be Vary Careful !

Bodrum City, Turkey
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Irish Car Hire Be Vary Careful !

The cheap headline rate can be very misleading and doesn't alwyas include collision damage waiver whch costs at least 15 euros per day which doesn't make car hire cheap.If you take out your own CDW cover through icar for £8 for 3 days approx this will mean if the car hire takes the excess of 3000 euros becuase you scratched the car you then have to claim the sum paid off icar and you could be waiting for months for the paper work to be finalised.Here's the choke the car hire company will take the sum from your account when you book the car and cancel it when it is returned.This is called a pre authorisation sum and is taken if you decide to take out your own CDW because it is only £8 and therefore in effect £3000 is frozen from your account for up to 14 days making me overdrawn and charged £15 for any transaction.Motto is take their rip off CDW when you hire otherwise your account will be debited.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish Car Hire Be Vary Careful !

Many, many threads on this forum explaining all the ins and outs of this. What a pity you didn't read any of them before your trip.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish Car Hire Be Vary Careful !

Those ins and outs explained here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c138899/Irela…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish Car Hire Be Vary Careful !

This post is largely useless. Those who read things will either read one of the many many other posts or will read the terms and conditions of their rental. Those who do not read things will not read this either.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish Car Hire Be Vary Careful !

Hehe, good point gaelflyer. It's a bit like the regular Easybus threads on the London forum.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish Car Hire Be Vary Careful !

The option of CDW should be only optional without penalty otherwise it becomes Ryan Air Part 2 (the headline price isn't the true price) and now we can see that Ryan are attempting to win back custom by just being more transparent.Reputation is everything and I would do anything to keep my customers happy so these companies will suffer in the end.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish Car Hire Be Vary Careful !

It pays to read the terms and conditions carefully. That being said, I recently rented a car at Edinburgh airport and had my own excess insurance. The guy at the desk explained everything clearly. They ( Easirent) put a "hold" of £1200 on my credit card as opposed to actually doing a "charge and refund". This "hold" would only be activated if the car was returned damaged. Would be helpful if all car hire companies were forced to adhere to the same guidelines

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Irish Car Hire Be Vary Careful !

Always read the terms and conditions, then you will know the "ins and outs"

I read many threads on quite a few forums and when asked if the terms and conditions were read, generally the answer is they haven't!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,610 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Irish Car Hire Be Vary Careful !

It's no better or worse than any other town on the planet.

9. Re: Irish Car Hire Be Vary Careful !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:17